Communications Intern - Summer 2020
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
What's In It For You?
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Your work as an intern can impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You will get "real world" experience to begin or further your career pursuits in the energy industry.
- This is a paid intern position for 10 to 12 weeks during summer 2020.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- Opportunities to interact with the CEO and the Executive team of the ISO.
- Invitations to seminars on the latest energy industry topics such as renewables, electric cars and microgrids.
- Social activities with other interns such as barbecues and movie nights.
- You get to work on our "green" LEED certified Folsom, California campus with some of the brightest people in the industry.
What You'll Be Doing.
You will work alongside our professional communications and public relations staff as they mentor you on external corporate communications as well as internal employee communications. You will have your own projects designed to give you a real world exposure to the day in the life of the communications staff at the ISO. You will write and edit market notices, quarterly newsletters, fact sheets, press releases, articles for “eCurrent”, update internal and external web pages, research topics, assist with employee informational town hall meetings, and photograph employee events.
- Gathering and distributing news stories for internal audience
- Reviewing, updating and creating content for various webpages
- Research and write stories for eCurrent, Energy Matters newsletter, fact sheets and news releases. Assist with electric conservation messaging during the summer months, including preparing and updating materials for the Flex Alert program.
- Work on Market Notices, and social media postings, including on Twitter and FaceBook.
- Majoring in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or related field graduating December 2020 or later with a Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or Master’s (M.A./M.S.).
- Preference given to students entering junior or senior year.
- No experience required.
- Previous related internships, volunteer or work experience desired.
- Demonstrated interest in the energy industry desired.
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite.
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication skills required.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.