State Legislative Affairs Representative
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Director of State Affairs, the State Legislative Affairs Representative provides strategic input to ISO management and staff relating to legislation and responds to other governmental inquires and activities, as required. Responsible for tracking and analyzing state legislation of interest to the ISO, preparing ISO position communications and monitoring committee hearings. Serves as the liaison between the ISO and the Legislature, state government legislative affairs offices, environmental organizations and other entities as necessary to promote sound energy strategies.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Responsible for the analysis and tracking of legislation of interest to the ISO and related communication and external parties. Identifies legislation of interest to the ISO and works with appropriate ISO representatives to prepare summaries and responses to legislation; may represent the ISO's position. Drafting of testimony and preparation of presentations.
- Assist in maintaining and building relationships between the ISO and members of the Legislature and their key staff members to develop an effective information flow.
- Monitors communication and request for information from the legislature and prepares responses to ensure timely and accurate responses. Also, monitors committee hearings and provides feedback to management.
- Prepares communication to the state legislature on system emergencies and develops and maintains the unit’s emergency communication plan.
- Coordinates briefings and tours for legislators and state and federal regulators and a host of guests.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Political Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Experience analyzing and tracking energy related matters and/or legislation.
- Experience working in a liaison capacity with interaction at a high level with governmental and regulatory bodies and the business community.
- Working knowledge of the ISO Tariff, energy markets and related regulatory and governmental issues desired.
- Proven ability to interact with executive level staff at the government and environmental organizations.
- Implementation and running of large programs or company-wide initiatives desired.
Additional skills and abilities
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
**We will also consider applicants for an Sr State Legislative Affairs Representative position. This position requires a Bachelor's degree or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering with emphasis in Political Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field and five (5) or more years of experience.