Market Settlements Specialist
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the direction of the Manager of CRR, Price Correction and Settlement Disputes, the Market Settlement Specialist is responsible for performing daily price corrections. Generates the weekly price correction report and researches data anomalies. Responds to client questions related to price corrections. Maintains and develops price correction tools following the market rules. Performs related tasks as required.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Supports and performs daily price corrections in accordance with ISO Tariff rules and standard business practices.
- Generates and publishes the weekly price correction report. Coordinates with Market Quality and Analysis team to ensure the report is accurate.
- Monitors and validates data consistency between applications and follows up on the resolution of data anomalies with other business units and IT.
- Supports the research and resolution of the price correction related disputes. Responds to any inquiries from both internal and external participants regarding price corrections.
- Participates in documenting detailed design requirements for new tools needed to support bulk price corrections.
- Performs user acceptance testing of the new tools and projects including validation of business rules as business needs change.
- Collaborates with Market Analysis and IT to identify root causes of data anomalies and develops and recommends solutions to prevent future similar errors through new business processes or software solutions.
- Collaborates with project teams to provide impact assessment to price correction processes and software.
- Supports the development and maintenance of price correction tools following new market rules and policy enhancements.
- Participates and executes user acceptance testing and end-to-end testing for new initiatives and major releases.
- Documents the design requirements and the test plan to support the user acceptance testing.
- Creates and executes test cases for UAT and reports on testing progress.
- Researches and analyzes business processes, identifies areas of control weaknesses, and develops and implements controls to pass internal and external audits, including validation of correct energy and pricing transactions as identified specifically in the ISO SOC control objectives.
- Develops documentation related to business processes and algorithms as appropriate.
- Assures that clear and adequate documentation is available for other business units and for related market applications.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Information Technology, Management of Information Systems, or related technical field.
- Master Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Experience in the electric utility industry and/or in a similar organization as the CAISO, with economics, market and operational background.
- Experience with SQL, SAS, or R.
- Experience with software tools and programming concepts.
- A strong knowledge of economics and computer science.
- Knowledge of power system operations, production cost modeling, and power flow analysis is preferred.
- Knowledge of the California power transmission networks and structure, and network modeling is desired.
Additional skills and abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.