Sr Market Design Policy Developer
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
This position is responsible for leading development of CAISO market design changes to achieve a low carbon electric system that efficiently and reliably serves electricity customers. This position has a direct role in shaping the future of the electrical energy industry by enhancing the CAISO markets and promoting policies to provide for the efficient development, retention, and dispatch of an optimal fleet of transmission and distribution connected resources. This position is challenged with addressing the convergence of several policy drivers changing the electric industry including:
- Decarbonization of the electricity and transportation sectors
- Operational and cost benefits from a larger regional electric grid
- Customer adoption of new technologies to manage energy use
- Proliferation of distributed energy resources
Your Work Will Consist Of:
- Evaluating, proposing, and developing enhancements to the CAISO’s markets to ensure efficient market operations and electric grid reliability and to facilitate achievement of corporate goals and strategic objectives. Developing recommendations and strategies and evaluating the implications of options. Considering and responding to stakeholder input.
- Evaluating, proposing, and developing CAISO positions on related policies being considered by public agencies, such as the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and state agencies.
- Leading internal teams and stakeholder process to develop CAISO market enhancements. Effectively managing cross-functional teams. Developing and managing project schedules. Ensuring policy development follows corporate approval and coordination procedures.
- Effectively communicating issues and proposed enhancements in writing and orally. Developing substantial white papers that effectively communicate complex issues. Providing significant input into CAISO tariff and other regulatory filings. Making oral presentations to internal and external audiences that effectively communicate complex issues. Effectively managing meetings with external stakeholders.
- Analyzing market and infrastructure policy issues using advanced engineering and/or economic techniques. Guiding the development of analytical models to identify needed CAISO market enhancements.
- Coordinating with implementation teams to ensure CAISO market enhancements are appropriately planned and implemented, including ensuring that policies make appropriate trade-offs with implementation effort.
Level of Education and Discipline
A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Economics, Engineering, Business or related field. Master’s Degree or Ph.D. desired.
Amount of Experience:
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience in policy development and/or regulatory processes at the federal or state levels, or similar experience desired.
Type of Experience:
- Experience writing and presenting technical proposals and reports to diverse audiences, including high level regulators, executives and/or board members.
- Demonstrated experience in leading teams and/or stakeholder groups to resolution on technical and contentious problems.
- Experience developing and managing project plans and teams to meet established milestones and objectives.
- Experience with resource adequacy policies, wholesale and/or retail market design, electric utility resource procurement, electric transmission and/or generation development, market operations or market monitoring, preferably in the electric utility industry.
Additional Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.