Manager, Customer Readiness
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Executive Director, provides leadership on all aspects of customer readiness from new customer on-boarding, existing customer management and communication and training. Manages the day-to-day operations and staff responsible for Customer Readiness functions. Responsible and accountable for delivering best-in-class training programs and delivering a readiness program to customers to ensure quality preparation and awareness of changes that impact the customer. This position is a hands-on working manager role with responsibilities to evolve the readiness staff and its services and deliver training
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Manages the day-to-day Customer Readiness business operations and staff. Responsible for providing broad direction and guidance to staff, identifies staff training needs, coaches and gives feedback on employee performance, develops staff performance plans, makes recommendations with respect to the hiring, firing, advancement, promotion or any other change in the status of direct reports, and performs related activities as appropriate.
- Manages and guides a team of skilled instructors responsible for the development and administration of customer training programs which consist of foundational courses delivered via Computer Based Training (CBT), Webinars or instructor led workshops with hands-on training exercises. Team is responsible for conducting training needs analysis and developing new training programs and training capabilities to meet changing industry and customer needs. Ensures training meets all tariff and compliance requirements.
- Manages and guides a team of skilled instructors and analysts that perform customer and staff readiness and customer on-boarding activities. Responsibilities include on-boarding and maintenance of new and existing customers to ensure a smooth transition for customers doing business with the ISO. Responsible for identifying and developing readiness plans and criteria for new policy initiatives and software projects that change applications, processes and procedures that impact how customers interact with the ISO. Plans include new training, test coordination, application access support and documentation to ensure customer readiness criteria is met.
- Identifies and develops strategies to improve readiness and training capabilities, leveraging new technology to reach customers through e-learning and expanding self-help capability. Effectively seeks ways to improve the customer readiness and training experience to build sustainable and robust programs for all customers.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Business or related field. Master’s Degree a benefit.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus ten (10) or more years related experience.
- Instructional design or education related certification desired.
Type of Experience
Management experience required.
Experience in electric industry or, ISO/RTO experience highly desired.
Leadership experience and experience coaching and developing others.
Experience in training, energy matters, including wholesale market transactions, resource interconnections, policy development, market design, transmission planning, and system operations.
History of successful performance in providing service to large energy organizations and familiarity with electricity market design and applications desired.
Additional skills and abilities
- Ability to think strategically and devise solutions to problems in keeping with multiple considerations.
- Excellent leadership and management abilities including coaching and developing others.
- Must demonstrate sound judgment and critical thinking when making decisions.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as team leader, facilitator and team member.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex materials and concepts.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, and work well independently.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.