Senior Systems Support Engineer
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, provides strategic input and resolves highly complex technical issues across multiple environments and redundant sites. . Provides support for various application systems equipment, Windows and Virtual Servers, software installation and configuration. Monitors, maintains and upgrades servers and other supported systems to ensure the highest level of availability. Collects and distributes data for capacity planning and performance management review. Provides system testing and may oversee test lab configuration and participates in vendor management tasks. .
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Develops and manages enterprise SCOM/SCCM technology roadmaps to create a stable and predictable investment. Ensures environments are current and supported to eliminate single points of failure. Defines schedules and oversees the execution of upgrades and proof of concepts. Provides leadership and input on technical strategies and architecture to improve the stability and reliability of systems across the organization and develops plans to resolve problems and prevent future incidents from occurring. Partners with various teams to identify and provide appropriate technical solutions to business needs and business case recommendations.
- Develops, customizes, integrates, installs, configures and administers ESX/Windows servers, databases and infrastructure supporting systems to ensure highest level of availability, performance and security for specific project initiatives. In response to incidents, exercising their independent judgement to create an effective solution, workaround, and strategies to quickly resolve the issue to minimize the impact to the reliability to the power grid and market. With minimum supervision, participates in technical teams, acting on own authority, establishing the working groups, to establish the short and long term solutions and plans, to prevent impacts to services, needed to run power grid reliability.
- Collaborates with various business units, project teams, and Architecture team to develop strategies and support requirements, provides technical support to ensure applications meet specified business needs during implementation, to meet the requirements of new functionality which is vital to the success and growth of the organization. Represents the department in various internal business meetings and related public forums as required, and proposes solutions to issues outside of assigned areas of responsibility. Collaborates with team members to analyze and resolve complex technical issues related to integrated hardware, servers, software and other supported systems issues in a time sensitive environment. Proactively identify issues, create workable solutions and provide recommendation to management
- Defines functional and system design requirements, and participates in acceptance testing of related systems. Provides technical guidance to other Systems Engineers or Systems Support Engineers and remains fully informed on all work activities within the ISO.
- Participates in creating and maintaining documentation, standards and procedures related to the operations and maintenance of supported systems and applications, coaches and mentors team members to develop/enhance their skill, growing their abilities. Coordinates with other team members to analyze and resolve complex technical issues related to systems development and integration.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management of Information Systems, Engineering or related technical field. Advanced degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience.
- VMWare Certification preferred
- Windows Certification preferred
Type of Experience
- Experience working in a corporate information technology ESX/Windows engineering and administration environment. IT ESX/Windows development, security and administration required.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot errors and determine their sources (OS, hardware, software, etc). Experience with SCCM, SCOM, ESX/Windows Operating System Server, Virtualized systems, LDAP, Networking, Enterprise Backup and hardware – HP/Dell. Client server computer systems operations, functionality, backup & recovery to include coordination of disaster recovery preparedness planning required.
- Experience in common build tools and integration tools. Experience in LAN protocols, Storage implementation and Security.
Additional skills and abilities
- Demonstrates fundamental leadership skills with the ability to work effectively in a team environment as a leader, facilitator and team member.
- Proven ability performing in a highly advanced and complex environment, making strategic recommendation on the evolution of new technology with a 1, 3 and 5-year time horizon.
- Proven track record on implementing relevant commonly-used concepts, best practices, security and procedures.
- Requires extensive knowledge of Operating System Server, Virtualized systems, Storage and Networking, in ESX and Windows. Advanced familiarity with client server computer systems operations, functionality, backup & recovery to include coordination of disaster recovery preparedness planning. Working knowledge of LAN protocols including DHCP, DNS, and WINS.
- Proven track record on implementing relevant commonly-used concepts, best practices, security and procedures. Able to develop and present training to staff on emerging technologies.
- Able to apply broad and comprehensive knowledge of principles, practices and procedures. Must be able to effectively document and convey technical information to non-technical audiences. Sound knowledge of computing concepts, hardware, software, networking, storage and related systems.
- ESX or Windows systems administration.
- Ability to provide practical and feasible solutions to problems, keeping multiple conflicting considerations into account. Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills required. Excellent analytical skills are required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex technical materials and concepts in a non-technical manner.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, and work independently.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite. Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.