Power Systems Engineer - Development
- 250 Outcropping Way, Folsom, CA 95630, USA
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by "keeping the lights on" 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, works on complex power system analytical assignments, provides technical expertise and performs software functional testing, integration, functional enhancement and support of both electricity market systems and advanced power systems applications. Develops test cases to ensure that software changes meet business requirements and minimize exposure to unintended consequences of variances. Partners with other internal departments and with associated vendors as appropriate to implement software changes. Maintains the non-production environment to support market simulation and parallel production activities by ensuring the market systems perform as expected.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Develops test cases, performs functional testing, and supports market applications. Provides support to the market simulation and parallel operations in multiple environments.
- Participates on project implementation teams to ensure successful implementation of key power systems software applications projects and initiatives from inception to production delivery. Works with project teams involving project management office, policy, legal, and other business units. Ensures that key personnel and IT experts are included on the team to design and enable new systems to support corporate initiatives.
- Performs complex mathematical and engineering analysis of market software and advanced power systems applications results to determine optimality of solutions, including incurred cost and impact on reliability of the power system grid.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of documentation for implementation or modification of applications. Ensures permanent records of system components and backup material with a focus on adherence to requirements.
- Anticipates, identifies and participates in resolving implementation, design and integration-related problems or potential problems within assigned areas. May propose solutions to issues, including problems outside of assigned areas of responsibility.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Electrical Engineering with Power Systems emphasis, Economics, Computer Science or related technical field. Advanced degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus two (2) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Requires training and experience or graduate level course work in optimization.
- Knowledge of regulatory and economic analyses is preferred.
Requires experience in the two or more of the following areas:
- electric utility operations,
- preferably in a similar ISO with market design or operation background
- computer techniques for power systems analysis
- power system operations, control, and planning
- real-time power systems applications
- advanced network applications such as voltage and dynamic stability analysis
- applications of mathematical optimization methods to solve power systems problems
- common information model (CIM) and extension to market data
- relational database and SQL language
- software tools and programming concepts.
Additional skills and abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as a facilitator and team member.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
Excellent mathematical analytical skills are required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex technical materials and concepts. Ability to think technically and practically to develop feasible solutions to problems keeping multiple conflicting considerations into account.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.