Substation Engineer Supervisor
- Chicago, IL
The Supervising Engineer has complete responsibility for profitability, quality and schedule performance for their engineering team(s). The Supervising Engineer is also responsible for resource assignment and management within the design teams they oversee. Perform engineering duties as necessary to ensure completion of projects goals. Must possess extensive knowledge of both substation design and engineering. The ability to coordinate the efforts of project teams towards the completion of several simultaneous projects is required.
- Employee may be called upon to perform any or all of the following functions:
- Ensure that projects are managed to meet project quality, schedule and profitability objectives
- Supervise the efforts of several project teams to ensure on time completion of multiple projects
- Assign projects to engineering teams based on project requirements, schedule, and availability of personnel
- Work with project engineers to coordinate engineering team efforts with construction and purchasing departments to ensure construction efforts are met
- Ensure project teams are using project specific standards and that design efforts are progressing efficiently
- Communicate and coordinate project activities with customer representatives, project teams, and management, and others as needed
- Prepare and track project schedules and budgets and work with project team leaders to ensure projects remain on schedule and within budget.
- Apply engineering application software to complete tasks such as ground grid design, relay coordination, transformer sizing, and short circuit and load flow studies
- Perform project engineering and design functions when necessary to meet project schedules
- Work with project engineers to ensure project teams apply engineering standards including the NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
- Properly use the document management system
- Ensure project team members are working in a responsible manner and taking “ownership” for their work
- Travel out of town for short periods of time as required by projects and assignments
- Other duties as required
Education / Experience
Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university. Must be a licensed professional engineer with over 10 years experience in the industry. If registered in a state other than where the engineer will practice, the employee must be able to obtain a license within one year of date of hire. Extensive knowledge and demonstrated experience in both substation engineering and design, along with the ability to oversee multiple projects, are required.
Possess skills in the following areas:
Experience in managing the efforts of a design team that includes multiple discipline engineers, designers and drafters
Extensive knowledge and understanding of high voltage electrical substation components and their functions, 138kV and above
Extensive knowledge and understanding of AC/DC fundamentals and three phase power systems
Strong knowledge of common engineering application software
Extensive knowledge and understanding of engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
Extensive knowledge of design documents and drawings necessary to complete a project
Supervising multiple project teams
Working with other departments and management to set project team goals
Knowledge of common word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail software
Leading in a team environment
Communicating team goals effectively with co-workers
Effective oral and written communication skills
Our client provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. The company provides life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and an employee assistance plan at no cost to the employee. Benefit offerings also include a choice of traditional PPO or HDHP, with corresponding FSA or HSA, dental, vision, supplemental life insurance, 401K with immediate vesting and more.
Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent green card holder.