Senior Associate, Venture Capital and Growth Funds
- Function: Investments
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $500 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to reach $3 trillion by 2050. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Associate to join the Growth Equity team which sits within the Private Equity Department. This role will primarily be focused on evaluating, executing, and managing venture capital and growth fund investments. The position will be based in San Francisco, with travel expected.
The Growth Equity (“GE”) team mission is to provide CPP Investments with strong returns and insights into the innovation ecosystem by making fund commitments and aligned direct investments alongside of the top venture and growth managers across North America and Europe. GE currently consists of 20 investment professionals across offices in San Francisco and Toronto and is continuing to grow.
As an ideal candidate, you have experience in venture or growth investing, are establishing a network, and are passionate about a long-term career in fund investing.
In this role, you will primarily be responsible for originating and executing fund commitments, while managing relationships with GPs to drive co-investment deal flow and insights for the rest of the organization. You will work collaboratively to:
- Build relationships with venture capital and growth firms, limited partners, and other market participants in connection with origination, due diligence, and post-investment relationship management
- Research, analyze and execute fund commitments, co-investments and, occasionally direct investments
- Drive the full investment process, including the review and negotiation of key deal terms
- Prepare and present investment recommendations to various internal Investment Committees
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of fund portfolios and specific companies to surface direct investment opportunities
- Develop and evolve the GE Funds strategy via market research, deal origination, modeling, and benchmarking
- Participate in the ongoing mentorship and development of investment professionals
- Collaborate with other teams/departments across Private Equity, and occasionally other asset classes, to deliver strategic projects which advance CPP Investments’ long-term priorities
- 5-8 years related work experience (e.g., private equity, venture capital, fund investing, etc.)
- Passion for the venture/growth/technology ecosystem and a career in fund investing
- Superior interpersonal and relationship buildings skills
- Clear and proven communication and presentation skills (oral and written)
- Excellent research, modeling, and analytical skills
- Experience conducting due diligence under a compressed timeline, juggling multiple workstreams, and working with external stakeholders (e.g., venture capital firms, investment banks, lawyers etc.)
- Strong ability to work effectively in a team environment with a commitment to fostering an inclusive culture
- Willingness to travel (10-25% time)
The base salary range shown here is a part of a competitive total rewards package.
The salary range for this position is $185,000 to $245,000.
US state/city legislation requires CPP investments to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. The base salary range shown here is a reasonable expectation for the posted role and is part of a competitive total rewards package which includes comprehensive benefits, a performance-based incentive plan, a 401 (k) plan and paid time off. Actual salaries may vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors, including, but not limited to, experience and expertise.
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn. #LI-JB1
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.
Mandatory Vaccine Policy
All employees in the Toronto, Sydney and Hong Kong offices will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations to this policy will be made for medical or other protected grounds. Please contact us to discuss any accommodation needs.