Analyst/Associate, Systematic Strategies Group (Portfolio Construction/Macro Assets)
- Function: Investments
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $500 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to reach $3 trillion by 2050. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
The Capital Markets and Factor Investing (CMF) department plays a vital role as the Fund scales to $1 trillion. We enable, diversify, and expand the Fund’s ability to maximize long-term investment returns without undue risk. We deliver extensive breadth and flexibility across global public markets providing scalable, liquid and diversifying returns through our Absolute Return and Long-only Strategies, our targeted customized solutions and our distinctive capital markets expertise.
The Systematic Strategies Group (SSG) is the internal investing unit of CMF. SSG develops and manages systematic investment strategies across global markets, spanning equities, fixed income, currencies, commodities, and volatility. We invest in absolute return strategies as well as long-only strategies, designed to provide a diversifying return stream to the total fund. Our strategies are scalable, liquid and capital efficient. They seek to capture various patterns of predictability observed in asset return behavior. Our goal is to be at the forefront in all aspects of a systematic investment process; this includes quantitative investment research, efficient implementation, effective risk measurement and management and robust portfolio construction. Towards this goal, we strive to foster a culture of intellectual rigor, innovation and above all, collaboration, and partnership in our team.
Our portfolios as well as our teams are organized along asset class pods. We have pods focusing on equities, FICC (fixed income, currencies, and commodities), volatility and portfolio construction/risk. We are currently recruiting for positions at the Analyst/Associate level across our teams, particularly in the Portfolio Construction/Risk team with the possibility of working with the FICC and Volatility teams. Our asset-class teams develop state-of-the-art quantitative strategies in their respective markets, and the Portfolio Construction/Risk team is responsible for the construction of a robust portfolio of such strategies as well as its risk monitoring and management. The asset class pods are flexible, and there is substantial cross-group collaboration. You will have the opportunity to contribute to in all aspects of the research, development, and implementation of systematic strategies. Our culture ensures that you will be working in a highly collegial and nurturing environment. Over time, you will gain unparalleled experience in becoming an all-round systematic investor and risk-taker in a highly respected group.
The role is based in Toronto.
Role Specific Accountabilities:
- Contribute to the development of the portfolio construction and risk management framework for our strategies as well as the development and implementation of the underlying investment strategies in various markets
- Conduct research on portfolio construction, risk forecasting, and scenario analysis across the range of asset classes that we trade in
- Partner with colleagues in the Investment Engineering and Analytics (IEA) team to design and implement new tools and analytics modules
- Present research findings and participate in discussions in various SSG investment forums
- Partner with colleagues in the SSG to conduct periodic reviews of existing investment strategies and processes
- Assist in the day-to-day management of the portfolio, such as by assessing portfolio positioning relative to the current investment views and monitoring risk allocation and exposure
- Stay abreast of relevant academic and applied research as well as general macroeconomic and market conditions
- Collaborate with groups across CMF as well as other departments at CPP Investments on various investment related initiatives
- Advanced degree (e.g., MSc, MFE, PhD) in a quantitative discipline
- Strong programming skills, preferably in Python
- Interest in developing systematic strategies, modelling their risk, and combining them in an optimal manner; some experience in the area is preferred
- Ability and interest in the research and analysis of diverse data sets involving asset returns as well as macro and micro-fundamentals
- Ability and interest in testing investment hypotheses and generating actionable insights
- Good economic intuition and understanding of modern asset pricing/portfolio theory
- Passion for investing with a strong desire to keep learning
- Facility for mathematical and statistical methodologies applicable to quantitative investing
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in a team environment
- Eagerness to embrace and contribute to a culture of intellectual rigor, innovation and collaboration
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated, organized, flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and new challenges
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Embody CPP Investments’ Guiding Principles of integrity, high performance and partnership
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn. #LI-JB1
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.
Mandatory Vaccine Policy
All employees in the Toronto, New York, San Francisco, Mumbai, Sydney, Hong Kong, and Sao Paulo offices will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations to this policy will be made for medical or other protected grounds. Please contact us to discuss any accommodation needs.