Senior Associate, International
- 38 Bluxome Street, San Francisco, CA
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $400 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed $450 billion by 2025. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
The International Department is a globally connected team helping oversee CPP Investments’ investment activities outside of Canada. The department focuses on the development, refinement, and prioritization of global investment strategies, as well as promoting collaboration with local stakeholders around the world.
Based in San Francisco, the Senior Associate reports to the Managing Director of the San Francisco Office and will help define and implement CPP Investments’ growth strategy and business plan for the recently opened office. In addition to identifying West Coast investment opportunities, a critical objective of the SF Office is to develop knowledge and insights on technology disruption and start-ups that will impact the Fund’s investments and internal technology and data activities. The Senior Associate responsibilities include:
- Identify West Coast based companies (start-ups, late stage private companies and public tech companies) that can help deliver value to CPP Investments’ portfolio companies as well as CPP Investments’ own internal objectives and develop “CxO meets start-up” events and other activities to connect these start-ups to portfolio companies and internal groups
- Assist with building relationships with early stage innovators, investment bank coverage advisors, financial advisors, and other key partners to help support knowledge efforts, origination activities and information flow
- Research and help develop effective ways to communicate to relevant Investment Departments and Core Services the impact of technology disruptions that will affect the Fund’s assets, for example by, analyzing where very early stage VC dollars are going and determining how these trends will impact specific assets and investment theses
- Build a systematic approach to accessing external experts as well as codifying internal SF Office based expertise on technology disruption and specific disruptors for investment teams as they evaluate investment opportunities
- Oversee external events related to our SF Office Strategy, including being an active thought leader in CPP Investments’ efforts to build a unique platform of thought leadership that will differentiate CPP Investments in the Valley, identifying and recruiting individuals to participate, and ensuring successful execution of the events
- Assist on special projects, such as long-term strategy planning work or investment research projects for the West Coast region.
- Support the Managing Director of San Francisco in overseeing the operations of the San Francisco Office and with presentations, briefing memos, analysis of the West Coast based investment and reporting of office activity; assist in analysis, preparation, and monitoring of annual business plan and budget
Consider applying if you have:
- 6+ years of proven experience in a top tier management consulting firm, equity research, investment banking, private equity, venture capital, corporate development or a combination of such at top-tier global firms
- Familiarity with public equity, private equity, venture capital, infrastructure and real estate investments
- Undergraduate degree preferably in Finance, Economics, Business Administration or Accounting. Post-graduate degree is an asset.
- Extensive experience in the start-up ecosystem, specifically, helping evaluate different disruption trends
- Extensive experience and advanced skills in conducting research and data analysis
- Ability to structure communication effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment; with experience creating presentation and briefing materials
- Ability to manage meetings and support relationships at the most senior level in organizations (C-suite and Board level)
- Proven ability to work independently as well as to perform effectively in a team
- Have strong communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Have the desire to live in San Francisco and a willingness to travel
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on Linkedin. #LI-POST
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.