Senior Manager, Investment Accounting
- 1 Queen Street East, Toronto, Canada
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $400 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed $450 billion by 2025. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
The Performance, Reporting & Analytics (“PRA”) group within Finance, Analytics & Risk (“FAR”) is an enterprise function that provides comprehensive information and integrated reporting to Management and Board of Directors for CPP Investments’ total portfolio.
Reporting to the Director, Financial Planning & Investment Accounting, the Senior Manager, Investment Accounting oversees a team of finance professionals responsible for maintaining the processes and controls required to support fund accounting and investment accounting functions. You will define the short-term goals (1-2 years) that align with the top-down objectives and lead the team to successful implementation of the initiatives. In addition, you will have many opportunities to represent the team and lead workstreams in enterprise-wide initiatives, which will provide you a strong understanding of functions in other areas of the organization.
If you are a strong people manager with proven track records of leading accounting and/or reporting teams and if you are passionate about strengthening controls, solving challenging problems and driving changes to improve efficiency, effectiveness and scalability of processes, this is the role for you!
Role Specific Accountabilities:
- Investment Accounting functions include updating accounting posting rules setup in investment accounting system (SCD), completing month-end control checks and reconciliations, processing month-end adjustments and preparing financial statement note support at quarter-end.
- Coordinate and manage the implementation of initiatives that are more complex and require strong understanding of processes in groups outside of Investment Accounting;
- Provide guidance on the implementation of accounting posting rules changes in investment accounting system to ensure the team has anticipated potential impact to stakeholders and has included steps to mitigate the risk in their implementation plans;
- Provide oversight on month-end accounting close process (e.g. reconciliations, journal entries, reports) and provide guidance when necessary to resolve ad-hoc issues;
- Review quarterly CPP Investments Financial Statement Note Support provided to Corporate Finance & Tax at quarter-end and review schedules prepared for CPP reporting at year-end;
- Review and provide sign-off on New Products & Activities (NP&A) to ensure Financial Reporting requirements can be supported;
- Main objective of Fund Accounting functions is to support the daily NAV processes (e.g. subscription/redemption, NAV calculation) and financial reporting of two funds (i.e. ACPP and BCPP).
- Provide oversight on controls established to support the accurate calculation of daily NAVs and review subscription/redemption transactions processed;
- Participate in Exception Handling meetings to address issues that are complex and difficult to resolve;
- Provide guidance to the team, when required, to resolve issues related to exception handling, back-dating of transactions and NAV recalculations;
- Provide oversight on the month-end controls and processes established to support financial reporting requirements for the two funds;
- Develop talents by coaching, training and providing stretch assignments that align with the staff’s career development plan;
- Guide team to identify opportunities to further evolve processes to strengthen controls, eliminate inefficiencies and improve scalability;
- Identify opportunities beyond own team where Investment Accounting can contribute and add value;
- Lead project workstreams for which Investment Accounting is a key stakeholder;
- Leverage domain knowledge and assist other teams with their initiatives/projects;
- Perform other duties as assigned;
Education & Professional Certifications:
- Undergraduate or post-graduate degree required;
- Relevant professional designations (e.g. CPA, CFA) would be an asset;
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in investment management/financial services role, with at least 5 years of people management experience;
- Experience in managing accounting and reporting functions with daily and monthly deliverables;
- Strong capital markets knowledge with sound understanding of financial instruments;
- Working knowledge of investment accounting systems (e.g. SimCorp Dimension);
- Proven track record of initiating and implementing process improvement initiatives in own department;
- Experience in leading workstreams of cross-departmental projects, desirable;
- Basic understanding of Enterprise Architecture/Business Architecture, a nice-to-have;
- Demonstrated excellent people leadership and management skills with strong focus on growing and developing team members;
- Comfortable with navigating in ambiguous environment with ability to guide the team to quickly pivot and adapt to changes;
- Ability to collaborate and build strong professional relationships with stakeholders;
- Intellectually curious with strong desire to learn, grow and innovate;
- Ability to anticipate potential impact to functions beyond own team when proposing changes; willingness to include others in discussions and decision-making process;
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving and consensus-building skills with ability to guide discussions to determine solutions and make decisions that are based on diverse perspectives;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) with ability to convey complex concepts to audience with different levels of understanding and needs;
- Demonstrated strong organizational/project management skills – ability to plan, prioritize and guide the team to successful implementation of both top-down and bottom-up initiatives;
- Demonstrated sound judgment, professionalism and the ability to work in a high performing culture with time-sensitive deadlines;
- Exemplify CPP Investments Guiding Principles of integrity, partnership and high performance.
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on Linkedin. #LI-POST
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information