- 1 Queen St E, Toronto, ON M5C 3G5, Canada
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $350 billion, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed $450 billion by 2025. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB’s important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
Reporting to the Chief Technology and Data Officer, the Director, Innovation will create a team and a capability, whose mandate is to support the acceleration of innovation initiatives across the organization in the areas of strategic interest for CPPIB. Working in partnership with the CEO, Senior Management Team, and across the various departments, this role will support the curation, assessment, and testing of emerging concepts and ideas; extend our advanced analytics capabilities; and, develop external partnerships and strategic investments. This role will play a key part in developing and enhancing CPPIB’s investment and operating capabilities recognizing the role innovation will play in pursuit of fulfilling our mandate.
- Working with key stakeholders, set the vision for CPPIB with respect to innovation, define the areas of strategic interest, and inform the roadmap for capabilities to be enhanced.
- Extend our advanced analytics capabilities including rapid prototyping and minimal viable product development.
- Establish the decision and governance framework for Strategic Investments and engagement model with External Partners. Work closely with the investment departments and core services to identify and evaluate strategic opportunities that will enhance our internal data, analytics, and technical competencies and capabilities.
- Define the engagement model for the Innovation team ensuring that its unique cross-disciplinary capabilities can be accessed and leveraged by the organization to enable and accelerate innovation initiatives.
- Define the governance model for progressing and funding innovation initiatives considering the balance of enabling innovation at the business unit level, with larger top down driven initiatives.
- Maintain the total Fund view on the portfolio and pipeline of innovation activity ensuring transparency, and alignment of resources to areas of strategic interest, and desired capabilities.
- Become a trusted partner across the organization, accessing capabilities across the organization to expand knowledge, insights, and capacity.
- Define aspiration and accountability for the Innovation capability at CPPIB (including vision, strategy, structure, resources, funding and roadmap).
- Provide framework to ensure coordinated and agile decision making, resource allocation, and systematic capture of value creation and dissemination of learnings.
- Provide shared services model to enable and drive innovation execution across the organization.
- Provide clear engagement model to support ideation and execution at the business unit level.
- Deliver ability to execute top down ideas in line with priority areas.
- Leverage external partnerships to access leading skills and capabilities.
- Maintain and manage portfolio view of initiatives and resources.
Culture / Thought Leadership
- Build a sustainable innovation capability within CPPIB, accelerate ideation and drive a culture of thought leadership.
- Empower and leverage our highly engaged employee base.
- Enhance our culture of innovation and experimentation while building competency in executing initiatives through disciplined execution.
- 10+ years’ experience and a demonstrated track record in leading high impact cross functional teams in strategic project management; prior experience with establishing an innovation function and building innovation capabilities is valuable.
- Deep knowledge of the asset management and investing value chain and industry.
- Experience in application of Big Data, Advanced Analytics, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and related emerging technologies to enhance investment and operating capabilities.
- Recognizes the importance and impact of building and fostering innovation from the ground up in partnership with, and on behalf of, groups and departments.
- Commercially minded – ability to define the opportunity and drive disciplined execution to deliver impact and enhance capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; builds trusted relationships and garners support for important ideas and initiatives across the organization.
- Well networked into conversations affecting the future of the asset management and investing industry
- Possesses a mindset of a strong talent manager, with the ability to attract, motivate and grow talent.
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn. #LI-JC1
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
CPP Investment Board does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investment Board to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investment Board will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.