Alternative Data Scout, Enterprise Data Services
- 1 Queen Street East, Toronto, ON
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $350 billion, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed half a trillion dollars by 2025. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB’s important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
We are presently recruiting for an Alternative Data Scout at the Associate level within the Enterprise Data Services (EDS) team. The mission of EDS is to successfully service the data needs of investment departments and core services groups across the Fund. You will play a key role in the following activities including, but not limited to:
- Proactively sourcing, evaluating and on-boarding data with existing and new providers with an emphasis on unstructured and unique datasets.
- Working with portfolio managers to prioritize data scouting projects, including being directly co-located with Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Portfolio Managers.
- Collaborating with departments across the company to identify creative applications of disparate data sources.
- Develop and maintain deep relationships with data partners.
- Inventorying new and existing data content required by the organization to support tactical and strategic initiatives.
- Become the trusted source internally to identify, prioritize and develop new data partnership prospects and the trusted source to data providers to maintain and mature commercial models and approach with new datasets.
- Build sustainable and scalable processes and best practices; drive day-to-day operational excellence through design, execution and improvement.
- Create and maintain reports and communications internally to advance and share knowledge.
- 5+ years of experience in financial services; sell-side, buy-side, management consulting; or business strategy/corporate development.
- Previous experience advising investment, or product, or data engineering teams on alternative data solutions.
- Exceptional listening skills in translating open-ended data requests into actionable data searches that will create value in the investment process.
- Experience working with data catalogs, data dictionaries and sample data files.
- Team player and natural explorer with excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Eagerness to execute with strong work ethic and a sense of urgency.
- Experience in Python or R an asset.
- CFA/CAIA designation.
- Exemplify CPPIB’s Guiding Principles of Partnership, Integrity and High Performance.
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn. #LI-JC1
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
CPP Investment Board does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investment Board to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investment Board will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.