Nature-based Solutions Scientist
- Crawley (other EU locations will be considered), United Kingdom
Where People, Data and Technology Meet
CGG is a pioneering Technology Company providing world class fully integrated Geoscience services globally. We employ in excess of 4,000 people worldwide, who bring a unique blend of talent and energy through working together to deliver unrivalled innovative solutions to our customers.
Through our cutting-edge Technology in Geoscience, we have achieved outstanding leadership with a strong focus on innovation and a commitment to delivering the best sustainable solutions to our clients' challenges. Our scientific teams collaborate with customers, through the analysis, enhancement and creative problem solving of complex data.
We are looking for enthusiastic and talented individuals to join our Environmental Science team based in South-East England (other European locations where CGG has offices would also be considered). This part of our business is expanding rapidly, and there are a number of opportunities available to support the collection, integration and analysis of data in order to derive insights and intelligence to mitigate environmental risks.
The role of the Nature-based Solutions Scientist will be to use their subject matter expertise to help develop innovative solutions through technology to address the challenges currently being faced in the environment. The role will also be responsible for providing mentoring to the junior members of the team and to also to help develop CGGs knowledge in this field.
- Be a recognized technical expert in Nature based Solutions (NbS)
- Experienced in the use and analysis of big data to answer ecological questions at the ecosystem community and landscape levels.
- Expertise in leveraging remote sensing data for analysing structural and morphological traits of ecosystems, and thus estimate carbon stocks, ecosystem services, or habitat suitability for species.
- A good understanding of the carbon landscape: as baselining, data collection and analysis (using GIS and python or equivalent), biodiversity mapping, forest and biomass inventories, calculation of carbon benefits and its socio-economical impacts
- Has used a broad range of most recent satellite instruments, new drone technology and airborne laser scanning to collect data and select the most appropriate system to characterize Natured based Solutions such as the growth of forests over time, for example, the reconstruction of forests canopy using 3D using high-resolution optical imagery or blue carbon monitoring, etc
- Have an in-depth understanding of the relevant legislation, including emerging guidance and the barriers to NbS adoption, together with pragmatic ideas on how these could be overcome
- Ensure solutions and technological developments align with Environmental Group’s key strategic focus areas
- Provide mentoring and support to the more junior team members to develop their skills in this field
- Identifies and represents CGG at relevant conferences (including webinars) for Environmental Science
- Strong problem-solving skills, from identifying problems to finding pragmatic solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills: connecting with others, informing, engaging, influencing, and aligning all relevant stake holders
- Flexibility to adapt to new challenges or fast-paced changes on projects
- Excellent communication and motivational skill
- Have a MSc/PhD degree or equivalent, preferably in a related subject such as ecology or environmental science, and at least ten years industry or academic experience