- Crawley, UK
Where People, Data and Technology Meet
CGG is a pioneering Technology Company providing world class fully integrated Geoscience services globally. We employ in excess of 4,000 people worldwide, who bring a unique blend of talent and energy through working together to deliver unrivalled innovative solutions to our customers.
Through our cutting-edge Technology in Geoscience, we have achieved outstanding leadership with a strong focus on innovation and a commitment to delivering the best sustainable solutions to our clients' challenges. Our scientific teams collaborate with customers, through the analysis, enhancement and creative problem solving of complex data.
We are looking for enthusiastic and talented individuals to join our Environmental Science team based in South-East England (other European locations where CGG has offices would also be considered). This part of our business is expanding rapidly, and there are a number of opportunities available to support the collection, integration and analysis of data in order to derive insights and intelligence to mitigate environmental risks.
The role of the Biodiversity Scientist will be to use their subject matter expertise to help develop innovative solutions through technology to address the challenges currently being faced in the environment. The role will also be responsible for providing mentoring to the junior members of the team and to also to help develop CGGs knowledge in this field.
- Understanding the variations in ecosystems within a geographical location and its overall impact on human existence and the environment
- Understanding the combined characteristics of biotic properties (biodiversity) and abiotic properties (geodiversity)
- Understanding of terrestrial, aquatic, species and ecosystems
- Understanding/capability for habitat & species mapping
- Relevant experience in biodiversity metrics and integration with other relevant data
- Experience with application of existing scientifically validated models, e.g., hydrologic, biogeochemical, or climatic models
- Experience with statistical analysis. Knowledge of & ability to map recognized biodiversity metrics to new domains. Expert use of GIS tools & R for data modelling and statistical analytics
- Knowledge of UNFCCC frameworks and climate change policy
- Ability to build connections with key stakeholders from academia in relevant subject areas, including identifying academic collaboration on CGG Environmental Science research projects
- Ensure solutions and technological developments align with Environmental Group’s key strategic focus areas
- Provide mentoring and support to the more junior team members to develop their skills in this field
- Identifies and represents CGG at relevant conferences (including webinars) for Environmental Science
- Strong problem-solving skills, from identifying problems to finding pragmatic solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills: connecting with others, informing, engaging, influencing, and aligning all relevant stake holders
- Flexibility to adapt to new challenges or fast-paced changes on projects
- Excellent communication and motivational skill
- Have a MSc/PhD degree or equivalent, preferably in a related subject such as ecology or environmental science, and at least ten years industry or academic experience