Exploration Geologist (6 months) with potential for extension – Minerals & Mining
- Crawley, UK
CGG (www.cgg.com) is a global geoscience technology leader. Employing around 3,700 people worldwide, CGG provides a comprehensive range of data, products, services and solutions that support our clients to achieve their business and transition goals. We combine human ingenuity and new technology to understand and solve the world’s natural resource, environmental and infrastructure challenges. Our unique perspective uncovers new ways for our clients to be more efficient and responsible, for a more sustainable future.
Our Geology & Engineering experts provide valuable insight for natural resource exploration and development and support our clients’ geothermal, CCUS and environmental Energy Transition programs.
Become Part of our Team
We are looking for enthusiastic, talented and highly motivated Exploration Geologists to join our Minerals & Mining team. Our core team is based in the UK, and whilst this would be the preferred location for the position, candidates based remotely in France, Italy and Norway will also be considered. This part of our business is expanding rapidly, and we are looking for impressive and like-minded candidates to immediately contribute knowledge and drive our activities forward.
Depending on the skills and experience that the candidate brings, there will be the opportunity to contribute to technical research, developments, product commercialisation, and commercial projects. The minerals and mining team collaborates with CGG business lines that span a range of technical disciplines, including geology, seismic and non-seismic geophysics, satellite remote sensing, digital and environmental science.
As an integral member of our Minerals & Mining team we highly encourage the contribution of ideas and drive in the generation of new concepts and commercial opportunities for the business.
We are looking for candidates that view mineral exploration as a scientific challenge with a global scope. An ideal candidate would have deep understanding of one or more mineral systems, gained through research and/or work experience, as well as a commercial understanding of the mining industry. As a team, we also value candidates with the following skills: data science, geophysics, geotechnics, risk management, remote sensing, financial analysis.
This role is most suited to those who are currently finalising, or have recently completed their MSc or PhD, or candidates that have relevant industry experience and are interested in immediately embarking on a new opportunity.
Key Skills & Competencies
The successful candidate will benefit from the experience noted above and some of the skills identified below – please highlight details of such in your cover letter.
- The ability to leverage your fundamental geological knowledge to address new and emerging challenges such as the energy transition and exploring for resources in new frontiers.
- Specific knowledge of the minerals industry/technology requirements, trends and gaps.
- A demonstrable understanding of the importance of data within minerals and mining, and how this can be enhanced, leverage and commercialised.
- Advanced problem-solving skills, especially focused on finding new solutions to data identification, ingestion, consistency, loading, and output problems.
- Ability to rapidly locate, digest and compile information from different sources.
- Experience in coordinating or managing projects that involve diverse data and stakeholders; ability to define and manage project deadlines.
- Good knowledge of GIS analysis tools (ArcGIS, QGIS, etc).
- Advanced skills in Python or similar general-purpose programming and scripting languages.
- Good understanding of statistics & data science, including machine learning.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills including VBA.
- Familiarity with data extraction techniques from a variety of file types, including web-scraping approaches and technologies.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- An enthusiastic attitude towards learning and flexibility to adapt to new challenges and rapid changes in direction.
Learning and Development
Our culture of learning and complementary approach to supported or self-guided career development, enables the design of tailored courses to suit specific needs of each individual to aid personal growth in areas related to technical, commercial and personal skills, via an extensive suite of CGG developed courses, managed through our own CGG Learning hub.
- Paid positions (up to 6 month with the possibility of extension): competitive salary
- 22 days holiday
- Employee Assistance Program to support our staff
We Care about our Staff and Environment
We recognise the importance of work life balance for our employees, which is supported through our flexible working and relaxed dress code policies.
We recognise and actively support the wellbeing of our staff through many different initiatives;
- Onsite Exercise classes, almost every day of the week and promoting active lifestyles
- Onsite Social Games area which provide downtime through the working day
- Our restaurant, offering great food and a highly effective social and work space
- Regular social club events, spontaneous reward events throughout the year
- Many discounts schemes, including Gym membership and a cycle purchase scheme
We encourage and actively support a strong sense of community, through volunteering and various company initiatives, as well as a strong company commitment to protecting our environment through sustainable solutions, energy saving and waste reduction enterprises.