Senior Geoscientist - Palynologist
- Llandudno, UK
CGG is a global geoscience technology leader. Employing around 4,000 people worldwide, CGG provides a comprehensive range of data, products, services and equipment that supports the discovery and responsible management of the Earth’s natural resources. Whilst having an excellent reputation within subsurface imaging, more recently, CGG has moved into the wider energy transition sector, applying our diverse expertise to new areas such as Environmental Science, Mining, Carbon Capture & Storage and Geothermal Energy.
We are looking for enthusiastic, talented and highly motivated Palynologist to join our Geology team based in North Wales. Our team of multi-disciplinary scientists provide innovative solutions to our clients challenging problems within the Energy Sector. We strive to continually evaluate our workflows to ensure we stay at the forefront of geoscience.
You will work in a project-focused team responsible for working in collaboration with our clients and delivering impressive results every time.
You will use your geoscience skills and be responsible for generating and interpreting geological data; compiling and synthesising results. Using your stratigraphic knowledge, in an applied environment, you will work in a multi-disciplinary team and have responsibility for using a range of techniques and processes to contribute to exciting projects.
We are looking for individuals who are intuitive, ask questions and will continuously seek to improve our interpretations and processes.
The candidate must be able to contribute to projects using a range of techniques, software and processes relating to the areas of Palynology and Stratigraphy. They must have the ability to independently and accurately generate and interpret data and prepare professional reports related to their specific discipline.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate a number of the skills identified below, which should be highlighted in your application depending on your preferred role/area of focus:
- Palynological logging, data review and interpretation, in the office and possibly also at wellsite
- Independent review and integration of biostratigraphic data in a regional geological context, providing interpretation and sequence stratigraphic correlations (using software such as Stratabugs and IC)
- Deliverable generation, independently and accurately generating professional summaries related to basin evolution, regional geology, stratigraphy and palynology
- Understand and integrate other technical disciplines in order to gain detailed subsurface insights
- Experience in co-ordinating or managing projects that involve diverse data and stakeholders; ability to define and manage project deadlines
- Ability to rapidly locate, digest and compile information from different sources
- Mentoring/coaching of more junior staff, providing feedback as and when required to aid their development
- An understanding of data and technology impact, and the potential for enhancements to address technical and commercial opportunities
- Experience through own research to engage critically, practically and creatively with current topics relating to geoscience
- Knowledge of the energy sector, including a keen interest in energy transition
- Wellsite palynology experience, leading wellsite assignments and their logistics, communicating with the onsite team
- Provision of both internal and external training programmes
- Contribute to business development for CGG
- Willingness to travel at times required for business
- Problem-solving skills
Educated to Degree, Masters or PhD degree level in any of the following disciplines: Geology or Stratigraphy
Key Skills and Competencies
- Passion and enthusiasm for science, geology and problem solving challenges
- Ability to demonstrate experience in data interpretation
- Ability to build and develop positive client relationships
- Ability to successfully manage and deliver on project deadlines
- Open communication and collaboration with teams and clients
- Enthusiastic attitude towards learning and flexibility to adapt to new challenges or changes in direction
- Strongly desirable: programming, data science, statistics, or related skills
We recognise the importance of work life balance for our employees, which is supported through our flexible working and relaxed dress code policies.
We recognise and actively support the wellbeing of our staff through many different initiatives;
- Promoting active lifestyles
- Regular social club events, spontaneous reward events throughout the year
- Many discounts schemes, including Gym membership and a cycle purchase scheme
We encourage and actively support a strong sense of community, through volunteering and various company initiatives, as well as a strong company commitment to protecting our environment through sustainable solutions, energy saving and waste reduction enterprises.