Senior Exploration Geologist - Minerals & Mining
- Flexible Location, OTHER
Working across numerous teams within CGG’s Geoscience EAME division, the Senior Exploration Geologist will leverage CGGs unique data and capabilities to implement innovative exploration strategies, as well as provide expertise and guidance to the benefit of business lines that deliver data and technology solutions into the minerals and mining sector, particularly relating to ‘energy transition’ and ‘battery metals’.
The experienced specialist will enhance in-house knowledge and lead multi-disciplinary activities, including refining and developing workflows pertaining to mineral exploration activities, the expansion of multi-client datasets, and promotion of internal and external synergies that provide differentiation for CGG. A core part of the role will be to ensure that CGG’s data, processing and modelling approaches are current, valid and recognised as world leading. To achieve this, the successful candidate will have access to some of the most diverse geoscience data, technology and expertise available, spanning geology, seismic and non-seismic geophysics, satellite remote sensing, laboratory analyses and data processing, modelling and digital science.
The candidate must be able to work both independently and within a varied and international multi-disciplinary team. The role has a flexible location however the candidate must be based in UK, France, Italy, Australia or Canada.
The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in delivering on the future ambitions of CGG in the mining sector, they must therefore be highly motivated, curious, have an innovative mind-set, and hold significant experience in the mining sector, ideally with operational experience in mining companies and/or consulting firms.
- Work as part of our multi-disciplinary and international team, responsible for delivering high quality projects and solutions to our clients
- Provide expertise on a broad range of mineral deposit styles, as well as the design and implementation of exploration strategies (including the mineral systems approach) at a range of scales
- Provide expertise pertinent to the energy transition and meeting future metals and mineral demand
- Keep abreast of technical developments to ensure CGG is suitably placed to respond to future client requirements
- Evaluation of existing CGG data and workflows to give guidance on where improvements and scientific gains can be made
- Work as part of our team responsible for delivering high quality data and projects.
- Mentor and coach team members with their technical development and encourage them to identify, and crystallise, new learning and opportunities
- Participate effectively and proactively in wider discussions across CGG with a view to recognising, and where appropriate developing, opportunities to capitalise on CGG’s multidisciplinary strengths.
- Identify potential sources of R&D funding that could help drive forward CGG’s services, help position CGG to secure such funding, and manage/support awarded projects.
- Support CGG in recognising opportunities to develop or acquire new IP and patents that help boost its technical position in the industry.
- Ability to work at other locations in the UK or overseas as required.
- Work in accordance with legislative and company policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate will have at least 15 years’ experience in mineral exploration, with a strong academic and vocational background (mining company and/or consulting)
You must be qualified to MSc level or above in a relevant subject (strong vocational experience may be considered as a substitute)
You will be IT literate, preferably with knowledge of data science.
Proven journal publication and conference presentation track record is also advantageous.
You will be confident in your own intiative and have the ability to work remotely and with minimal supervision. In addition, you will be relaible and conscientious team player with excellent communication skills.
We recognise the importance of work life balance for our employees, which is supported through our flexible working and relaxed dress code policies.
We recognise and actively support the wellbeing of our staff through many different initiatives;
- Promoting active lifestyles
- Regular social club events, spontaneous reward events throughout the year
- Many discounts schemes, including Gym membership and a cycle purchase scheme
We encourage and actively support a strong sense of community, through volunteering and various company initiatives, as well as a strong company commitment to protecting our environment through sustainable solutions, energy saving and waste reduction enterprises.