Network and Telecom Operations Technical Engineer (IT-CS-DO-2023-118-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
As a member of the network and telecommunications support team of the Communications Systems Group (IT-CS), you will be responsible for the smooth and efficient operation of network and telecom services at CERN. The Communication Systems group supports network infrastructure that includes a campus network (fixed and Wi-Fi) with over 20,000 actives devices, two datacentres housing over 10,000 servers with high-speed connections to other research centres, as well as fixed and mobile telephony, TETRA digital radio services and a LORA based IoT service.
We use software developed in-house to manage and configure the network, as well as the Spectrum NMS for real-time monitoring. Developing a good working knowledge and understanding of these systems will be an important aspect of the role.
As a Network and Telecom Operations Technical Engineer, your main tasks will include:
- Monitoring incidents on the network infrastructure, follow-up with experts of the affected services;
- Advanced user support for complex requests and incidents reported by users;
- In-depth investigation and resolution of highly technical networking and telecom issues affecting various types of systems at CERN (industrial controllers, high performance computing applications etc.), in collaboration with experts from IT or other departments;
- Preparation and improvement of operational processes and procedures and liaison with the contractors responsible for following these procedures;
- Management of hardware devices including the testing of possibly faulty units and their return to the manufacturer;
- Coordination and announcement of incidents and planned interventions affecting the communications infrastructure.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Information and Communication Technologies or a related field.
- Experience in the fields of networking and/or telecommunications.
- Experience in a service provider role in a technical environment.
- Experience in analysing complex technical problems and finding means to resolve them.
- Experience of coordinating work with external providers and subcontractors would be an advantage, as would experience in developing simple scripts (Bash, Python).
- Knowledge of communication technologies and protocols, such as IP switching and routing, DHCP, DNS, etc.
- Operation and maintenance of networks.
- Knowledge of system configuration tools.
- Incident management, including classification, prioritisation and initiation of action, documentation of root causes and implementation of remedies.
- Customer service.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; seeking to help other team members when own work is done, supporting others.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: actively pursuing own personal and professional development; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.10.2023 at 12:00 AM (midnight) CEST.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: IT-CS-DO-2023-118-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Technical Engineer