Survey and Alignment Physicist (EP-SME-IS-2023-108-GRAP)
The successful candidate will be involved in geodetic metrology for the precise survey, alignment, and collimation of physics experiment elements and their detectors with respect to nominal beamlines and interaction points. The work will take place in various experimental areas and facilities such as the LHC caverns and LHC experiments, and the ISOLDE facility. The candidate will be involved in the development of new integrated optical position monitoring systems for the alignment of components of physics experiments in space. (S)he will study the feasibility of their development and implementation. The candidate will contribute towards the design, implementation and accurate positioning of collimators used to protect instrumentation in high radiation environments. (S)he will also work on the survey and characterization of magnetic fields generated by the physics experiments.
Skills and/or knowledge
- The candidate should have a physics background and a good general understanding of the alignment and collimation requirements of different medium and large-scale experiments.
- The candidate must have proven experience in the use of geodetic metrology instrumentation and software, and should have a good knowledge of 3D scanning techniques.
- The candidate should also have proven experience in the development and use of optical systems for monitoring position in space up to micrometer precision.
- S(he) should hold a thorough knowledge of the radiation protection aspects of collimator geometry and alignment.
- Knowledge of the survey and characterization techniques applicable to magnetic fields within the 1 Gauss to 10 Tesla range would be advantageous.
- Furthermore, experience in designing and implementing collimators for physics experiments would be an asset.
- Fluent in English, the ability to work in French would be an advantage.
- You are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State.
- You have a professional background in Applied Physics (or a related field) and have either:
- a Master's degree with 2 to 6 years of post-graduation professional experience;
- or a PhD with no more than 3 years of post-graduation professional experience.
- You have never had a CERN fellow or graduate contract before.
Job closing date: September 27 at 12:00 AM (midnight) CEST.
Job reference: EP-SME-IS-2023-108-GRAP
Contract duration: 24 months, with a possible extension up to 36 months maximum.
Target start date: 01-November-2023
This position requires:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
What we offer
- A monthly stipend ranging between 6194 and 6808 Swiss Francs per month (net of tax).
- Coverage by CERN's comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund.
- Depending on your individual circumstances: installation grant; family, child and infant allowances; payment of travel expenses at the beginning and end of contract.
- 30 days of paid leave per year.
- On-the-job and formal training at CERN as well as in-house language courses for English and/or French.
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
We are on a Quest. A Journey into discovery like no other. Bring your expertise to our unique work and develop your knowledge and skills at pace. Join world-class subject matter experts on unique projects, in a Quest for greater knowledge and deeper understanding.
Begin your CERN Quest. Take Part!
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.