Electrical Engineer (EN-EL-MO-2023-116-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Electrical Engineering (EL) group of the EN department, you will join the Maintenance and Operation (MO) section, which is in charge for the maintenance and operation of CERN electrical transmission and distribution network, the commissioning of new electrical installations, and the execution of small works.
Are you a qualified and proactive electrical engineer, specialized in Power System Protection for medium and high voltage networks?
Contribute your skills and experience to the operation, maintenance, consolidation and expansion of CERN's electrical transmission and distribution network, at the heart of one of the world's largest and highest-energy particle collider. Join the CERN electrical engineering team. Take part!
As a Power System Protection Engineer in the Maintenance and Operation (MO) section, you will be responsible for the management of the overall lifecycle of protection relays, part of CERN's electrical transmission and distribution network, from design and procurement to commissioning and maintenance.
- Update and maintain the whole protection plan for CERN transmission and distribution network.
- Draw up technical specifications and all tendering documents for the implementation of the protection plan, in particular the purchase of protection relays, and manage related contract(s).
- Program and test protection relays configurations (logics).
- Assist the design office in preparing installation plans and calculating protection settings, through fault simulations in the network model.
- Lead the commissioning of protection relays on site (functional testing, current injections, troubleshooting) by preparing dedicated procedures and supervising commissioning operator(s).
- Elaborate a comprehensive preventive and corrective maintenance plan, including spare parts management and lead its implementation.
- Define the methodology to integrate the protection relays and the associated maintenance activities, in CERN Computerized Maintenance Management System.
- Manage and deliver specific refurbishment projects for the replacement of obsolete protection relays.
- Participate to the standby team, in charge of corrective interventions when fault occurs.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Electrical engineering or a related field.
- Very good knowledge of modern equipment associated with complex high voltage electrical networks (400 kV, 66 kV, 18 kV).
- Proven experience in the field of protection relays, in particular commissioning and maintenance.
- Proven experience in fault simulations and settings calculations.
- Proven experience in post-mortem fault analysis.
- Experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Extensive knowledge of power systems, such as sequence components, symmetrical and asymmetrical faults, and power flow analysis.
- Proven experience in the operation and maintenance of a high voltage electrical system, including troubleshooting and repairs.
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks.
- Design and modelling of high-voltage electrical circuits and networks.
- Operation and maintenance of electrical circuits and networks.
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Achieving Results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Demonstrating Flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Communicating Effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
Spoken and written English or French; Good knowledge of the other language or willingness to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.10.2023 at 23:55 CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-EL-MO-2023-116-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further