Maintenance & Support Technical Engineer (electrical systems) (SY-EPC-OMS-2023-55-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a talented technical engineer, passionate about activities coordination and maintenance? Do you have experience with electrical installations? Are you comfortable in a collaborative environment aiming to improve quality and processes? Then join the Electrical Power Converter group for a unique challenge as the next step in your career. CERN, take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
You will be working within the Electrical Power Converter Group (SY-EPC), responsible for the power converters installed in the whole CERN accelerator complex, and the Operation Maintenance Support Section (EPC-OMS), a section transversal to the group, whose members participate in the production, operation and maintenance of all the electrical power converters.
As Maintenance and Support Technical Engineer, you will coordinate activities related to electrical power converters and participate to the quality assurance development of SY-EPC Group.
As responsible for the infrastructure installation of Power Converters Control Systems, you will:
- Participate in the definition of Power Converters Control Systems architecture;
- Collaborate with the dedicated services for:
- The supply and installation of the different Power Converters Control System components;
- The integration and connection of Power Converters Control Systems to electrical and communication networks;
- Follow up and report of the progress of activities and major milestones with all the stakeholders;
- Testing and validation of the Power Converters Control Systems;
- The proper documentation of all activities as listed above.
As part of the Quality Assurance team of the group, you will:
- Develop harmonized processes, procedures, instructions and document management for the electrical power systems of the group;
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of stand-by service and maintenance activities.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical, electronics or maintenance engineering or a related field.
- Experience in activities coordination including those executed by external contractors.
More specifically experience in:
- Maintenance of electrical installations;
- Installation, test, and validation of computer networks and/or fieldbus;
- Experience in Quality Assurance implementation;
- Knowledge of Electrical Safety Aspects would be an asset.
- Organisation, planning and control: of electrical and mechanical activities on electrical installations;
- Operation and maintenance of power electronic components and systems;
- Process analysis, definition and improvement;
- Quality management.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented Selecting the appropriate medium and forum to communicate.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Spoken and written English: the ability to draw-up technical specifications.
- Basic knowledge of French language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 25.09.2023 at noon (12:00 CEST).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SY-EPC-OMS-2023-55-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer