Full-stack Software Engineer for Zenodo (IT-CA-OSR-2023-105-LD)
Are you an experienced Software Engineer who enjoys Full-stack Web Application Development?
Take an active role in software development, service operation and project management for the world’s largest general purpose digital repository – Zenodo – helping make Open Science a reality for any researcher anywhere in the world. You’ll join a dynamic team using cutting edge technologies, for a large Open Source project used by thousands of users every day. You will work at the heart of digital open data initiatives, at the largest particle physics lab in the world: CERN.
The Collaborative Applications (CA) Group is responsible for delivering software and services enabling collaborative work, including open science and institutional repositories, digital library and preservation technology. Zenodo is operated by the Open Science Repositories (OSR) section of CA Group.
Learn more about what we do here: https://information-technology.web.cern.ch/about/organisation/technical-delivery#it-ca
You will be a experienced team member handling the technical development, service operation and project management for Zenodo (https://zenodo.org) and the underyling technical open source platform InvenioRDM (https://inveniordm.docs.cern.ch). Zenodo is a service where researchers from all sciences from all over the world share their data, software and publications. You will have the possibility to deliver cutting edge solutions for scholarly communication, while interacting with stakeholders from biodiversity to particle physics, engineers to data experts.
You will be responsible for:
- Development of new modules and functionalities for Zenodo, as well as contributing to its underlying Open-Source technology, InvenioRDM;
- DevOps activities such as service configuration, deployment and maintenance tasks;
- Providing support to Zenodo users and sharing expertise with the InvenioRDM developer community;
- Management of code contributions following an Open Source development model as well as sprint faciliation;
- Participation in externally funded projects and presentating at conferences/workshops;
- Supervision of junior team members.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of software engineering or a related field.
- Proven experience architecting large software projects, preferably for the web, involving design and development of user interfaces, web application back-ends, front-ends, and database schema management.
- Previous experience in service deployment, configuration management and operation.
- Previous experience with user relations, user support, user requirements definition.
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces: good knowledge of web UI technologies; knowledge of toolkits such as SASS, Semantic UI and React; Knowledge of User Experience and Usability practices.
- Design of databases/repositories: knowledge of Database Management Systems (PostgreSQL in particular) Knowledge of Elasticsearch/OpenSearch and RabbitMQ/Redis is a plus.
- Knowledge of system configuration tools: knowledge of container-based technologies and configuration platforms (e.g. Docker, OpenShift, Kubernetes) is a plus.
- Project management: practical knowledge of managing and executing software development projects. Knowledge of EU funded projects is a plus.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues; supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 27.08.2023 at 12:00 AM (midnight) CEST.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CA-OSR-2023-105-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer