CERN Courier editor (IR-ECO-CE-2023-85-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Do you have a desire to work in a unique international environment communicating the latest progress in particle physics?
You will join the International Relations Sector (IR), Education, Communications and Outreach Group (ECO) that is responsible for generating public engagement with CERN’s activities and with fundamental research, fostering community-building and raising awareness of CERN’s societal impact. The group is composed of professionals covering all its activities: writers, media officers, graphic and web designers, social media specialists, education specialists, exhibition developers, photographers and video editors, as well as event organizers.
CERN Courier is the international magazine for high-energy physics, established in 1959, with an estimated 100,000 readers of its print and online versions worldwide. Published six times per year, the magazine also has a regularly updated website, social media channels, webinars and supplementary “In focus” editions.
Reporting to the editor-in-chief, the successful candidate will be expected to take on significant editorial responsibility and to play a leading role in developing the title’s print and online presence.
As an editor of the Courier, you will:
- Work closely with the editor-in-chief to produce the CERN Courier and develop its strategic direction;
- Liaise with the CERN and global high-energy physics communities to keep the magazine at the forefront of experimental and theoretical particle physics, astroparticle physics, cosmology and gravitational-wave research;
- Commission and edit expert-authored feature articles;
- Write news, features and other articles;
- Carry out picture research, fact check, proofread;
- Populate and curate cerncourier.com;
- Manage @CERNCourier social media accounts;
- Work daily and remotely with the Courier’s publishing partner;
- Contribute to projects and work with teams across the CERN-IR-ECO group;
- Supervise and mentor junior members of the team.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of particle physics or a closely related subject or a related field.
- Research in particle physics or a closely related subject;
- Proven experience in an editorial / communications role;
- Experience in managing multiple tasks and meeting strict deadlines.
- Proven editorial experience on a science magazine;
- Experience of managing social media channels;
- Graphics/design & web development skills.
- Strategic communications planning
- Stakeholder relationship management
- Text editing and proof-reading
- Internal communications
- Social media
- Demonstrating Accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions Working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Maintaining a positive outlook even in difficult situations; demonstrating resilience and persistence in response to setbacks and adversity Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
- Achieving Results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Communicating Effectively: successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments Utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved
- Solving Problems: recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture Seeking and integrating other points of view when tackling an issue; consulting experts in the field and undertaking benchmarking
Exceptional written and spoken English; ability to understand and speak French or a willingness to acquire such skills quickly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.08.2023 midnight CEST.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IR-ECO-CE-2023-85-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Communications/Public Relations /External Relations Professional