Technician for cooling and ventilation systems (EN-CV-LHC-2023-26-LD)
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the cooling and ventilation (CV) group of the EN department, you will join the LHC Section, which is in charge of the operation and maintenance of the cooling and ventilation systems of CERN’s experimental areas, including the ones dedicated to detectors. The activity includes the work site supervision for installation work and commissioning of new systems, upgrade of existing systems and consolidation of old systems.
Are you a qualified technician, specialised in industrial cooling and refrigeration installations? Contribute your skill and experience to the operation and maintenance of highly complex cooling plants in a unique environment hosting some of the world’s most complex technical installations. Join CERN’s Cooling and Ventilation operation team. Take part!
As a Technician, you will take part in the operation, maintenance and modification works of cooling systems that are essential for the operation of CERN scientific facilities.
- Plan (by using the CMMS system), coordinate, supervise, check and perform preventive and corrective maintenance activities on the detector cooling systems;
- Perform operation activities to ensure appropriate running of the cooling systems;
- Regularly interact with the CERN Experiments for all matters related to equipment under your responsibility;
- Propose and define the most appropriate solution to meet user needs in case of modification or renovation works;
- Technically coordinate contractors’ maintenance and installation work in compliance with contractual clauses and technical standards;
- Contribute to projects from the design phase until test and commissioning of new detector cooling systems;
- Write technical reports and notes;
- Ensuring that the technical documentation is kept up-to-date and compliant with the quality standards;
- Ensure the respect of safety rules for all interventions;
- Participate to the stand-by service;
- Follow up and regularly report on activities progress issues, schedule and costs.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanics, electro-mechanics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in maintenance, operation and installation work on cooling or refrigeration systems;
- Experience in the technical coordination of external contractors;
- Experience in the use of CMMS tools;
- Experience in low voltage electrical systems;
- Initial experience in compressed air systems;
- Experience in ventilation system would be an asset.
- Operation and maintenance of cooling water systems: operation, monitoring and maintenance of water-cooling stations and distribution networks.
- Contract management: in particular technical supervision of contracts.
- Organisation, planning and control: , and coordination of activities involving different technical fields (electricity, civil engineering, heavy handling etc.).
- Operation and maintenance of electromechanical equipment and systems: lV network and switchboards.
- Operation, monitoring and maintenance of Refrigeration systems.
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities
- Demonstrating Flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects Adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than gold -plated' technical solutions
- Communicating Effectively: providing others with timely information Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts. Ability to draw up technical specifications and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages and an undertaking to acquire the other language rapidly
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.03.2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- work in confined spaces
- work at heights
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-CV-LHC-2023-26-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technician