Electronics Technician (SY-ABT-BTE-2023-17-LD)
Are you a motivated technician in the field of electronics and controls? If you are eager to acquire new skills and knowledge in a team of professionals who will train you in the field of controls for pulsed power systems applied to the largest particle physics laboratory in the world, this is an opportunity for you. CERN, take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
The Accelerator Beam Transfer Group (ABT) is in charge of the design, development, construction, installation, exploitation, and maintenance of all the particle beam injection as well as the extraction equipment of the CERN’s accelerator complex.
You will be working in the Beam Transfer Electronics (BTE) Section specialised in the design and exploitation of controls electronics for all equipment under the responsibility of the ABT group and associated R&D activities.
As an electronics technician, you will take part in the operational support of existing hardware and study, design, develop and commission new hardware and supporting software for the control of beam transfer equipment across the whole CERN accelerator complex.
In close collaboration with the experts of the group, you will:
- Participate in the exploitation, maintenance, repair and upgrade of existing control systems under the responsibility of the section, proposing improvements as required in line with safety regulations;
- Develop and commission hardware solutions (circuit and PCB) for the control of beam transfer equipment across the whole CERN accelerator complex;
- Produce dedicated software for the testing, commissioning and in-depth performance analysis of the group’s equipment;
- Ensure that all equipment and controls hardware is properly tracked using asset management software;
- Guarantee the operational performance of equipment under your responsibility, repairing and testing electronic modules where needed.
- Plan, execute and document accordingly laboratory tests.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics or a related field.
- Proven experience as a technician in the field of electronics, ideally in the fault finding, repair and testing.
- Experience with Linux, Python or other scripting languages would be a plus.
- Layout of electronic circuit boards;
- Testing and measurement of analog electronic circuits;
- Testing and measurement of digital electronic circuits;
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits: digital and mixed-signal circuits with low complexity.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies.
- English or French spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up specifications and/or reports, and/or to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak the other language or an undertaking to acquire it.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.03.2023 at midnight (00h00 CET).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: SY-ABT-BTE-2023-17-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technician