Computing Infrastructure Engineer (BE-CSS-ISA-2023-16-LD)
Are you a skilled and experienced Computing Engineer? Do you want to contribute to the unique challenge of making all CERN particle accelerators function in an efficient and synchronised manner? Join CERN’s Controls Software & Services group, to work on the computing infrastructure needed to run the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Take Part!
The CERN accelerator complex is composed of thousands of magnets, accelerating RF cavities, beam measurement instruments and many other equipment. They must all function in a sophisticated, well-coordinated fashion to produce, accelerate and deliver the high-energy particle beam to the numerous physics experiments.
From a computing infrastructure perspective, this is a huge and complex Ethernet-based distributed system with thousands of real-time embedded systems, hundreds of high-performance and high-availability data servers, and hundreds of operator consoles.
Our team helps make this a success through the development and evolution of this computing infrastructure needed as a core element for the accelerator complex controls.
You will have the opportunity to contribute and influence the evolution of this complex and challenging infrastructure, imprinting your remarkable engineering skills on mission-critical solutions for CERN, which will serve for the coming decades.
You will join:
- The BE Department, responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for the LHC and its injector accelerators.
- The CSS Group, responsible for providing and supporting the controls software and infrastructure used to operate and maintain these particle accelerators 24 hours a day.
- The ISA Section, a dynamic and quality-oriented agile team, responsible for the CERN Accelerator control system IT infrastructure and system administration.
As a Computing Infrastructure Engineer, you will join a passionate team and take an important role in the operation of the CERN Accelerator control system infrastructure and participate in numerous strategic projects for the future in terms of operating systems and container technology.
In particular, you will:
- Perform system administration tasks for the LINUX computers connected to the accelerator control system (control room consoles, data centre servers, real-time embedded platforms and virtual machines)
- Communicate with the end-users to understand their needs and help translate these into appropriate solutions.
- Investigate, diagnose, and resolve operational problems in collaboration with end-users ranging from equipment specialists to operations teams.
- Participate actively to the strategic evolution of the Accelerator control system infrastructure towards containers technology, in particular:
- Provide plain containerisation mechanisms and tools for numerous software development teams (base images, registry, security aspects).
- Migrate our hardware infrastructure from bare metal to clustered container orchestration platforms.
- Select, build and deploy the next generation of LINUX operating system for Accelerator controls.
- Collaborate closely with engineers from the IT department responsible for the overall CERN IT infrastructure.
- Mentor and supervise junior developers.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Computer Science or a related field.
The following are required for this post:
- Proven experience in the operation of medium to large-scale distributed computing infrastructures, including:
- LINUX operating system.
- High-performance and high-availability commercial server platforms.
- Distributed storage systems.
- Container technology (Docker, Podman) and orchestrators (Kubernetes, Openshift).
- Diagnostic and monitoring solutions for the aforementioned aspects.
- Configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet, or similar and a version control system such as Git.
- Proven experience and interest in software failure analysis, diagnostics, and validation in a Linux environment.
- Knowledge of operating systems: linux-based support and maintenance
- Architecture and design of ICT systems: control & data acquisition systems, distributed applications and services
- Knowledge of communication technologies and protocols
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: system configuration, monitoring, Python and Java environments
- Installation, operation and maintenance of control systems.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind. Delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements. Actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively. Expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 23.00 CET 20th March 2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: BE-CSS-ISA-2023-16-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer