Reliability Engineer for Particle Accelerators (TE-MPE-CB-2022-137-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Joining the Technology Department, you will work in the MPE group responsible for a variety of protection and interlock systems for magnets and particle-beam related equipment – the so-called Machine Protection Systems - across CERN’s accelerator complex.
You will closely work together with the hardware teams in the MPE group, to evaluate reliability requirements of newly developed machine protection systems or their upgrades and propose potential design improvements. Furthermore, you will follow the operation of CERN’s accelerators and assess their availability with special focus on the performance of the machine protection systems and related equipment. Finally, you will study and derive the availability and reliability requirements for future high energy particle colliders and key hardware systems based on the expected particle physics output.
As a Reliability Engineering expert in the Controls and Beam Studies for Protection Section, you will:
- Perform detailed reliability and availability modelling for newly developed and upgraded machine protection systems. Derive reliability and availability requirements for these systems and propose design improvements to the hardware teams to achieve the defined goals;
- Track faults in CERN’s accelerator chain of all equipment installed and propose ways to improve the general machine availability;
- Study the required availability of future high energy particle accelerators globally and for key hardware systems;
- Develop and improve tools for the modelling of equipment and machine dependability;
- Share knowledge by supervising students and graduates.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Reliability Engineering or a related field.
- Extensive experience in the domain of reliability engineering,
- Proven experience in data acquisition and analysis,
- Experience in the operation and protection of particle accelerators would be an asset,
- Experience in the design and operation of highly dependable systems would be an asset.
- Knowledge and application of quality and reliability assurance techniques
- Knowledge and application of data acquisition systems and data analysis
- Knowledge of the operation of particle accelerators with special focus on machine protection and machine protection systems
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: Python
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind Being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt.
- Solving problems: recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture. Being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals. Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements. Readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
English spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up specifications, reports, and to make oral presentations. The ability to understand and speak French or an undertaking to acquire it would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 06.12.2022 at midnight (CET).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-MPE-CB-2022-137-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer