Process Operator in Cryogenics (TE-CRG-OP-2022-102-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Come and join the team of operators of the LHC cryogenic facilities, a unique opportunity to work on machines that constitute nearly half the world's stock of large helium liquefiers. It is challenging and exciting place to work. Take part!
CERN is the world's largest particle physics laboratory and its flagship accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider, depends on having an unrivalled set of cryogenic systems on hand to guarantee reliable operation. A team of expert operators tend to these systems 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Typical cryogenic systems comprise compressors, heat exchangers, valves, instrumentation, vacuum pumps and controls. Process purity is essential.
From start-up and routine operation to maintenance support and emergency interventions, no stone is left unturned in the quest for perfectly reliable operation. The experience you will gain as a member of the expert team of LHC cryogenic operators could not be acquired anywhere else, teaching you to work autonomously and to respond to all manner of situations around complex industrial processes.
Meet the team!
As member of the Cryogenics process operations team, you will:
- Be part of a 24-7 shift team, which runs the cryogenics facilities supporting the Large Hadron Collider and main experimental detectors ATLAS and CMS
- Integrate a multinational team with a range of skills and expertise
- Get the chance to broaden your knowledge into new areas
- Receive specific training and support for your professional development
After a period of training, you will take on responsibility, on the ground and remotely, for operating the LHC cryogenic system: trouble-shooting, emergency interventions and maintenance support, depending on requirements and situations; updating the operating procedures, in particular with respect to the safety rules; and managing high quality technical documentation.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of industrial instrumentation, physical measurements, process engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- First experience in the monitoring of industrial processes and/or experience in the field of commissioning and operation of complex electromechanical plant (e.g. petrochemicals or equivalent)
- Specific experience with cryogenics or instrumentation or vacuum technology would be a major asset, as would be basic knowledge of thermodynamics
Note that the first months of training will enable acquisition of the necessary knowledge to start activities.
- Cooling process and regulation: understanding of basic process cycles
- Use data acquisition and treatment software
- Use of office software packages
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
- Learning and sharing Knowledge: taking steps to expand knowledge in other areas of expertise beyond own field
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 14.10.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-CRG-OP-2022-102-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Accelerator/Industrial Process Operations Technician