Land Survey Technician (SCE-SAM-TG-2022-84-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
CERN is much more than the worlds’ largest laboratory for particle physics. The Site and Civil Engineering department has an opening for a surveyor interested in managing assignments from land through to final drawings. Not only will you be able to work in the dynamic and international environment that is CERN, but you will get to use the latest surveying tools and to develop your skills in using an advanced Geographical Information System. Take Part!
As a land survey technician you will be in charge of the topographic surveys required for new projects, the setting out of new buildings, and other specific works like cubature work monitoring (auscultation). You will as well be responsible for the replies to DICT (Declaration d’Intention de Travaux) and more generally of the underground network datasets.
You’ll work in close collaboration with the other members of the Geomatics and with the Civil engineering work teams.
- Achieve land surveys and setting outs using survey instruments including total stations and Global Positioning System
- Perform data treatment for integration into the Geographic Information System
- Draw and design topographic maps using the Geographic Information System
- Calculate cubature and set up work monitoring (auscultation)
- Deal with geodesy and transformations between coordinate reference systems
- Manage the DICT administrative rules, procedures and replies for CERN
- Participate in on-site meetings related to CE works and networks
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of land surveying or a related field.
- Extensive experience in the field of land surveying and topography (Survey office, Building or Public works company)
- Extensive experience with all survey instruments (total station, GPS, optical and digital levels, laser scanners)
- Demonstrated experience in CAD drawing using CAD and/or GIS software
- Proven knowledge in the use of GIS software (ArcGIS is a plus)
- Experience in participating actively and/or leading meetings on fields with stakeholders
- Knowledge of building and underground network construction
- Treatment of Global Positioning System and total stations measurements
- Geodesy and transformations between coordinate reference systems
- Knowledge and application of high-precision survey methods and tools
- Use of survey instruments: (theodolites, total stations, optical & digital levels, GPS, laser scanners)
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Managing self: remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems. Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively. Utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Solving problems: adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than 'gold-plated' technical solutions. Anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fallback plan.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information. Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
Spoken and written French and English: ability to understand and speak French in routine situations is important.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.09.2022 at noon (CET).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: SCE-SAM-TG-2022-84-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Civil Engineering Technician