Theoretical Physicist (TH-SP-2022-15-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
The CERN Theoretical Physics Department (CERN-TH) has launched a talent pool recruitment exercise for Limited Duration (LD) research staff positions. This pool aims at defining a list of pre-assessed and endorsed candidates that can be hired for future opportunities, determined by the needs of the organisation. We are looking for outstanding researchers in any of the areas of theoretical particle physics traditionally covered at CERN.
The objectives of the Theoretical Physics Department are:
- Develop new theoretical ideas aimed at understanding the fundamental constituents and forces of nature.
- Develop their relevance for the experimental programme of CERN and to take full advantage of the stimulating environment of a large laboratory.
- Contribute to the general scientific culture at CERN through active participation in the various training programmes and promotion of scientific events on site.
Your main functions will include:
- Making significant contributions to theoretical research related to elementary particle physics.
- Participating in and initiating a large variety of activities within the Theoretical Physics Department and possibly in collaboration with the experimental physicists working at CERN.
- Taking part in CERN committees and study groups.
- Helping maintain continued contacts with the outside scientific community.
PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Theoretical Physics or a related field.
- Demonstrated post-doctoral research activities which have led to scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Evidence of ability to make significant contributions to the work of the Organization.
- Knowledge and application of computational and mathematical physics.
- Knowledge and application of particle physics, phenomenology.
- Thorough knowledge of theoretical physics.
- Achieving Results
- Solving Problems
- Building Relationships
- Creating Vision and Strategic Partnerships
Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States as well as Non Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TH-SP-2022-15-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Theoretical Physicist