Survey Technician (BE-GM-ASG-2021-118-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Join a great team to work on the metrology and alignment of accelerators components! Take part! The Geodetic Metrology group within the Beams Department provides metrology and alignment for components installed in the accelerators and experiments throughout the CERN complex and handles all related geodetic aspects. The group is also responsible for the research and development related to all these tasks for upgrades to existing machines and for future accelerator and experimental projects. Check out this video: https://videos.cern.ch/record/2718427
As a Survey technician, you will:
- Align all types of components in the CERN accelerator complex and in particular in the LHC long straight sections (LSS), write the corresponding survey reports and manage the relevant documentation.
- Perform metrology measurements at all stages of the assembly of accelerator components using the laser tracker technology.
- Give feedback to improve the field procedures, methods, and software.
- Carry out “as-built” measurements of tunnels and buildings using the laser scanner technology.
- Ensure the availability and the good functioning of the instrumentation and the software provided to the section and perform the technical supervision of the work done, including the data processing.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Surveying, Topography, Geomatics or a related field.
- Initial experience in the domain of high accuracy geodetic metrology.
- Initial experience in highly accurate levelling measurements over long distances.
- Experience in the domain of “as-built” measurements with laser scanning technology would be an asset.
- Use of survey instruments: (theodolites, total stations, optical & digital levels, GPS).
- Knowledge and application of high-precision survey methods and tools: use of laser scanning, laser tracker, digital photogrammetry.
- Alignment of very heavy objects.
- Use of data acquisition and treatment software including compensation software.
- A good knowledge of Spatial Analyzer will be an asset.
- Working in teams: Contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues. Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities. Seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others.
- Demonstrating accountability: Working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises. Presenting information accurately and objectively. Taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Communicating effectively: Expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point. Listening actively to others and letting others speak. Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer. Keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information. Being receptive to others' ideas and building on them.
- Demonstrating flexibility: Demonstrating willingness to alter views when presented with new information. Being willing to work on different projects simultaneously. Actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts, as well as ability to understand and speak in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job reference: BE-GM-ASG-2021-118-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician