Electrical Engineer for Superconducting Magnets Development (TE-MSC-SMT-2021-93-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets, to shape the future of
CERN largest accelerator. CERN, take part!
You will join the Superconducting Magnet Technology (SMT) Section, part of the Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC) Group within the Technology (TE) Department. The Section has as main mandate the design and fabrication of innovative superconducting short prototype magnets for ongoing LHC upgrades and future accelerators along with the development of associated technology and engineering processes. SMT is also responsible for the superconducting magnet insulation development and provides CERN-wide support for polymer casting and rapid prototyping.
As an Electrical Engineer in the SMT Section, you will:
- Play a key role in the electromagnetic design of the next generation of superconducting magnets from conceptual design to detailed engineering design.
- Take in charge the development and operation of the High Voltage Laboratory.
- Participate to the design and the quench protection analysis of the superconducting magnets.
- Participate to the magnet fabrication: from coil construction to magnet assembly and quality control.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electro-mechanical engineering or a related field.
- Experience in the design of electromagnetic devices.
- Ability to perform and analyse advanced electrical measurements.
- Initial experience in electromagnetic devices construction.
- Experience in the use of Finite element codes for electromagnetic or electrostatic applications.
- Design and modelling of electrical machines: electromagnetic devices.
- Knowledge and application of computational methods and tools in electromagnetism.
- Knowledge and application of mechanical measurement techniques: electrical measurement techniques including High voltage tests.
- Design and modelling of protection systems for superconducting magnets.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions presenting information accurately and objectively.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Solving problems: seeking and integrating other points of view when tackling an issue; consulting experts in the field and undertaking benchmarking.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.10.2021 at 12PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (4 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-MSC-SMT-2021-93-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Engineer