Workshop Manager (TE-MSC-CMI-2021-94-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Come and join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets, to shape the future of CERN's largest accelerator. CERN, take part!Come and join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets, to shape the future of CERN's largest accelerator. CERN, take part!
You will join:
The Cryostat and Machine Integration Section (CMI) is responsible for the design and construction of cryostats for accelerator SC devices and integration of technical systems. It is also in charge of the maintenance of the LHC SC magnet cryostats and construction of spares. These activities take place in a dedicated facility on the CERN site, in Bldg. SMI2, which is complemented by a storage building (Bldg.189). The CMI Section is currently working on the design and construction of various equipment for the work packages WP3 and WP6a of the HiLumi HL-LHC Project (https://hilumilhc.web.cern.ch), and on the maintenance of LHC SC magnet cryostats.
As an experienced technical engineer and workshop manager in the CMI section, you will :
- Lead and supervise the cryostats and machine integration facility in building SMI2, as well as the nearby storage building 189.
- Coordinate and supervise the activities taking place in Bldg. SMI2 in accordance with the schedule requirements of the HiLumi HL-LHC Project and LHC magnet refurbishment plan.
- Anticipate and make sure of availability of personnel, tooling, and components in line with the medium-term plan of the section in order to guarantee smooth and on-time completion of the various jobs.
- Contribute to the development of detailed production schedules, manufacturing and inspection plans (MIP) and assembly procedures.
- Enforce the application of the QA/QC procedures throughout the production.
- Report to the responsible Project Engineers and CMI Section Leader.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanics, aerospace, nuclear industry or a related field.
The experience required for this post is as follows.
- Proven experience in mechanics, manufacturing and assembly technologies and processes.
- Proven experience as workshop manager, in the production management of equipment of high complexity that necessitate stringent QA/QC monitoring.
- Proven experience in the technical supervision of a multidisciplinary team of technicians or management of a workshop (machining and assembly works).
- Knowledge and experience in welding processes such as TIG and MIG, as well as of the related qualification requirements such as WPS, WPQR, and qualification of welders. A qualification as welding engineer will definitely be an asset.
- Experience in cryogenic industry or pressure equipment and piping industry would be a strong asset.
- Team management: managing and optimizing workshop resources.
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation
- Occupational safety and risk management: operational safety in a workshop environment.
- Manufacturing of mechanical parts.
- Knowledge and application of joining techniques: glueing: soldering, and welding.
- Knowledge and application of conventional dimensional metrology.
- Reading of technical drawings.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations producing comprehensive work / project plans taking into account resources and contingencies.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals. Understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Working in the Interest of the organization: actively promoting safety and encouraging others to do the same; respecting safety rules and procedures.
- Spoken and written French or English. Good knowledge of the other language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.09.2021 at 12PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (4 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: TE-MSC-CMI-2021-94-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technical Engineer