Electronics Design Software Service Manager (IT-CDA-AD-2021-74-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Join a dynamic IT team to develop and manage the Electronics Design Software Service and provision engineering applications used by thousands of CERN’s engineers every day for the design and maintenance of the accelerators, detectors and infrastructure. Work at the heart of the tool deployment strategy of the largest particle physics lab in the world: CERN.
You will join The Applications and Devices section which provides over 100 applications: electronic design automation tools, mechanical engineering tools, mathematics tools and general productivity applications. This section also manages server infrastructure of over 800 servers and supports 10,000 devices such as desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones and screens, and provides anti-virus, printing and configuration management tools.
- Provision of electronic design automation software tools, mechanical engineering software tools, mathematics and multi physics software tools;
- Leverage both CERN and commercial clouds to provide easy access to engineering software and remote solve machines, especially in HPC configurations;
- Use technical expertise to guide discussions and negotiations with software vendors;
- Analyse the needs of CERN electronics engineers and the potential for consolidation across CERN;
- Organise the inter-departmental co-ordination committee, energise CERN-wide user community;
- Manage the electronic design automation software tools budget;
- Implement virtual bookkeeping, optimise the use of existing licences;
- Maintain existing software and manage software licences, ensure compliance with licence agreements;
- Renew software licence contracts, propose replacements, decommission or introduce new software according to users requirements and in line with CERN stringent purchasing rules;
- Provide efficient user-oriented support;
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Electronics or a related field.
- Proven experience in electronic design using tools such as: altium Designer, Cadence Allegro, Ansoft Designer, MATLAB, Xilinx Vivado, ANSYS, Comsol.
- Demonstrated experience in developing electronic components in a scientific collaboration.
- Initial experience in programming and installation, operation and maintenance of computing systems.
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits: and FPGA-based electronics.
- Knowledge and application of high-level description languages and tools.
- Administration of computing systems.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: python, ELK Stack, SQL.
- Installation, operation and maintenance (preventive and corrective) of computing systems.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships debating at the table and engaging in constructive confrontation of ideas gaining trust and collaboration from others.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: creating or participating in forums to exchange experience, comparing techniques and learn from others keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
- Communicating effectively: selecting the appropriate medium and forum to communicate successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.08.2021 at 12PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CDA-AD-2021-74-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer