Building and Infrastructure civil engineer (SCE-SAM-CE-2021-62-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a civil engineer with outstanding negotiation and organizational skills? Do you enjoy achieving high-quality results? Do you like to build effective collaborations with your colleagues and contractors? Make your contribution to exciting and dynamic civil engineering projects within the most unique particle physics laboratory in the world: CERN. Take part!
One position for a building and infrastructure engineer is open in the Site and Civil Engineering (SCE) Department for construction, maintenance and consolidation of the buildings and infrastructures on the CERN sites.
As Building and Infrastructure Civil Engineer, you will take a leading role for the maintenance, operation and consolidation of buildings and infrastructure projects.
Mainly in the fields of structural steel work and external building envelope works, you will:
- Collect, prioritize and process work requests from different internal/external users.
- Manage works and larger projects in the design and execution phases and until reception with the users.
- Lead one or more service contracts as technical manager.
- Plan, coordinate and manage construction, renovations and repairs projects with accurate human and financial resource estimations.
- Write the technical documents for invitation to tender or call of tender.
- Define and track project milestones. Ensure that the timelines for quality and costs meet expectations.
- Ensure that all works and constructions comply with the contractual drawings and documents, norms and regulations.
- Oversee the work, check measurements, commitments, and payments.
- Make sure that all safety measures are taken on the worksites in order to keep the incident rate to a minimum.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of in the field of civil engineering or architecture, or a related field of a minimum of 5 years. or a related field.
- Proven experience in managing civil engineering works.
- Proven experience in managing service contracts (launch and follow up of frame contracts, management of meeting, active participation in the drafting of prevention and quality plan).
- Proven experience in managing projects for the operation and maintenance of buildings and technical infrastructures, with full responsibility throughout the project lifecycle.
- Reporting, presentation on a weekly/monthly basis (quality, costs, schedule).
- Proven experience in procurement processes (definition of procurement strategy, market survey, invitation to tender).
- Proven experience in following roofing, exterior and structural steel works and their corresponding standards and regulations.
The following will be considered an asset:
- Experience in the industrial and/or scientific environment.
- Proven experience in maintenance works on buildings, technical galleries and tunnels.
- Proven experience in the involvement of strategic and sensitive meeting.
- Building diagnostics.
- Technical knowledge of metallic/wood/concrete structures.
- Technical knowledge of external building envelope (roofing/waterproofing).
- Knowledge of building construction, consolidation and renovation.
- Project management.
- Contract management.
- Technical rescue operations.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen Remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Optimising resources: realistically assessing human and financial resource needs, evaluating risks and plans accordingly Effectively managing budget, optimizing human and financial resources.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.07.2021 at 12PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SCE-SAM-CE-2021-62-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Civil Engineer