Mechanical Engineer for Superconducting Magnets Development (TE-MSC-SMT-2021-58-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets, to shape the future of CERN largest accelerator. CERN, take part!
You will join the Superconducting Magnet Technology (SMT) Section, part of the Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC) Group within the Technology (TE) Department. The section has as main mandate the design and fabrication of innovative superconducting short prototype magnets for ongoing LHC upgrades and future accelerators along with the development of associated technology and engineering processes. SMT is also responsible for the superconducting magnet insulation development and provides CERN-wide support for polymer casting and rapid prototyping.
The section is presently focusing on high field magnet development primarily relying on Nb3Sn technology. The next few years will be crucial in the demonstration of the readiness of this technology for large scale accelerator application and in exploring its high field limits.
As a Mechanical Engineer in the SMT section, you will:
- Play a key role in the mechanical design of the next generation of Nb3Sn magnets from conceptual design to detailed engineering design.
- Participate to the magnetic and quench protection analysis of these magnets.
- Participate to the magnet fabrication: from coil construction to magnet assembly and quality control.
- Lead engineering and technology development from the mock-up phase to the magnet assembly by combining finite element analysis, material and process qualification, manufacturing follow-up and instrumentation.
- Participate to mechanical instrumentation implementation in tight collaboration with CERN experts.
- Oversee assembly tooling design, maintenance and calibration with support from the technical team.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of in electro-mechanical engineering or a related field.
- Proven experience in superconducting magnet mechanical design.
- Experience in superconducting magnet electromagnetic design.
- Initial experience in superconducting magnet construction.
- Initial experience in mechanical instrumentation and electrical quality control.
- Design and modelling of superconducting magnets.
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures.
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment.
- Knowledge and application of numerical modelling in solid mechanics: (finite element analysis): proficiency in ANSYS.
- Knowledge and application of mechanical measurement techniques and electrical measurement techniques.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues Cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises Presenting information accurately and objectively Taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Solving problems: seeking and integrating other points of view when tackling an issue; consulting experts in the field and undertaking benchmarking.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Spoken and written English: the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations.
- Good knowledge of French language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.07.2021 at 12 PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-MSC-SMT-2021-58-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer