Fibre Optics Engineer (EN-EL-FC-2021-55-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Electrical Engineering Group (EL) of the EN department, you will join the Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC), which is in charge of CERN's optical fibre infrastructure. The section ensures the technical expertise in the field of fibre optics, and provides optical and copper signal cables, standardised racks and DC power cables for magnets in the accelerators and experimental areas. In addition, the Section provides engineering support to the CERN users, centralises their cabling requests and organises the installation activities through external industrial-support contractors.
Are you an expert in the domain of fibre optics technology, who is ready to take on challenging installation projects whilst bringing innovation to the development of technologies? Are you willing to contribute to the continuous extension, consolidation, and maintenance of CERN’s optical fibre network constituting the infrastructure for the major communication systems of the various accelerators, including CERN’s current leading project: the High-Luminosity Large Hadron Collider (HL-LHC). Take part!
As a Fibre Optics Engineer, you will:
- Provide expertise and ensure the development of fibre optics technology for CERN applications, including both communication and sensing systems.
- Qualify and procure cutting-edge optical fibre types and components, including radiation sensing optical fibres.
- Draw up technical specifications and manage industrial supply contracts.
- Perform engineering studies of the optical fibre network in view of improving its reliability and availability.
- Provide engineering advice to stakeholders for passing their systems from copper cabling to optical fibres.
- Define optical cabling components, installation methodologies, testing procedures, and organize optical fibre cabling installation campaigns.
- Provide data analysis, statistics, project forecasts and financial plans.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Photonics or Electronics Engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical fibre transmission, optoelectronics components and fibre qualification tests;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in using optical measurement equipment;
- Demonstrated experience in writing technical specifications and scientific publications;
- Ability to deal with contractors and sub-contractors would be an asset;
- Experience in optical fibres radiation sensors would be an asset.
- Knowledge and application of optical fibres: signal transmission, sensing, optoelectronics components;
- Testing and measurement of optical fibres;
- Design and development of optical data links down to their deployment;
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages (data analysis software).
- Managing Self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen;
- Achieving Results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion;
- Solving Problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan;
- Working in Teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results;
- Communicating Effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak; Checking to ensure that the message has been well understood.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak the language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Spoken French: ability to understand and entertain basic conversations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.07.2021 at 12:00 pm CET (midday).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-EL-FC-2021-55-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer