Electronics Engineer (SY-ABT-BTE-2021-48-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you passionate about electronics design and development? Are you skilled in both analogue and digital design? If you are eager to acquire new skills and knowledge in a team of professionals who will train you in the field of pulsed power systems applied to the largest particle physics laboratory in the world, this is an opportunity for you. CERN, take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
The Accelerator Beam Transfer Group (ABT) is in charge of the design, development, construction, installation, exploitation, and maintenance of all the particle beam injection as well as the extraction equipment of the CERN’s accelerator complex.
You will be working in the Beam Transfer Electronics (BTE) Section specialised in the design and exploitation of controls electronics for all equipment under the responsibility of the ABT group and associated R&D activities.
As an electronics engineer, you will take part in the study, design, development and commissioning of hardware, gateware and firmware for the control of beam transfer equipment across the whole CERN accelerator complex.
In close collaboration with the experts of the Group, you will:
- Architect electronics systems down to board level for use in pulsed power application; capture requirements, study possible solutions and draft the functional and engineering specifications;
- Conceive, implement, simulate, test and commission dedicated electronics (mixed designs up to 300 MHz) to drive, protect and monitor pulsed generators whilst ensuring the required electromagnetic compatibility;
- Develop gateware and firmware to implement embedded control logic;
- Analyse data to improve your designs, automate where possible; develop functional and hardware test benches to deliver reliable products when required;
- Take part in cross-functional peer reviews of electronics circuit board design and get hands on when required;
- Participate in the exploitation, maintenance and upgrade of existing systems under the responsibility of the BTE Section, proposing improvements as required.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering or a related field.
- Proven experience in electronics design, both digital and analogue;
- Demonstrated experience with gateware design;
- Experience with Linux, Python and scripting languages would be a plus.
- Design and simulation of analog electronic circuits;
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits: rTL and simulation designs with VHDL and/or System Verilog;
- Development of software for embedded and real-time systems with/without OS: mainly designs with C/C++;
- Knowledge and application of electromagnetic compatibility, interference and susceptibility.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies.
- Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up specifications and/or reports, and/or to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak French or an undertaking to acquire it.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 04.06.2021 by 12:00 CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SY-ABT-BTE-2021-48-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer