Software Developer (SY-BI-SW-2021-44-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you a skilled software developer who is passionate about implementing and testing the complex software required for accelerators at the high energy and intensity frontier? CERN, take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
The position will be in the Software Section of the Beam Instrumentation Group and you will take part in developing, testing, commissioning, and maintaining the software required for the diagnostic devices used by the accelerator operators to control the particle beams being produced and accelerated at CERN.
As a software developer specialising in real-time C++ programming your main task will be to develop, test, operationally deploy and maintain the acquisition and control software for various accelerator beam instrumentation systems installed throughout the CERN accelerator complex, including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
The job will involve:
- Developing the real-time C++ software for the control and acquisition of new instruments using the software frameworks employed at CERN;
- Specifying and developing supporting graphical user interfaces and tools, used by experts to configure and diagnose the systems;
- Maintaining and upgrading existing software, in close collaboration with instrument specialists and end-users;
- Assisting the users (operators, specialists, physicists...) in the exploitation of the instruments, taking on board their feedback in order to further optimise performance;
- Contributing to the improvement of software engineering practices in the Beam Instrumentation Group.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of information technologies or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of computer engineering with an emphasis on real-time C++ programming;
- Basic knowledge of electronics-based acquisition systems would be an advantage.
- Development of software for embedded and real-time systems with/without OS;
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces;
- Testing, diagnosing and optimization of software;
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages;
- Development of system software (drivers, system configuration and monitoring, etc.).
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations ; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 24.05.2021 by 12:00 CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SY-BI-SW-2021-44-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Technical Engineer