Vacuum Technician (Bakeout) (TE-VSC-BVO-2021-28-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
With a total of 130 km of vacuum vessel, CERN operates one of the largest vacuum systems in the world.
Are you interested in studying and designing new components for this unique infrastructure, then come and join the Vacuum, Surfaces and Coatings Group! Take part!
The Vacuum, Surfaces and Coatings (VSC) Group is responsible for all high and ultra-high vacuum systems for the CERN accelerators. Its mandate covers all activities from development to operation, including design, production and procurement, surface engineering and analysis, acceptance tests, control and monitoring.
Within the VSC Group of the TE Department, you will:
- Perform in-situ heating of accelerator beam pipes to achieve a better vacuum in a shorter time (bakeout and NEG coating activation) in the room temperature vacuum chambers of CERN’s accelerators, experimental areas, and laboratories. This includes the definition of the heating scheme, the installation of heating elements, and the follow up of the bakeout cycles.
- Design, procure, and follow up the production of bakeout components including heating elements, thermocouples, cables, and PLC-based controllers.
- Perform prototyping and validation of new equipment for bakeout, including heating elements, materials for thermal insulation, and temperature monitoring.
- Write technical specifications and purchasing documentation for the procurement of bakeout materials; monitor stockpile and ensure availability of items required for bakeout.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electromechanics, vacuum, mechanical, or a related field.
- Experience in mechanical installation of complex equipment.
- Demonstrated experience in vacuum technology.
- First experience in bakeout installation.
- Proven experience working with electrical equipment.
- Familiarity with basic control systems.
- Familiarity with purchasing procedures and follow up of orders.
- Previous experience with stock-keeper activities would be an asset.
- Knowledge and application of materials, surface and thermal treatments for UHV
- Installation and commissioning of vacuum systems
- Operation and maintenance of electromechanical equipment and systems
- Design, analysis and optimization of thermal systems
- Demonstrating Accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions Working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises
- Working in Teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Demonstrating Flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects Adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Managing Self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen Working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Remaining objective, focused and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
Spoken and written English or French: good knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 19.04.2021 at 12:00 pm CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving license is required.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-VSC-BVO-2021-28-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician