Polymer Technician (TE-MSC-MDT-2020-112-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets and polymer technology, to shape the future of CERN largest accelerator. Take part!
You will join the Polymer laboratory, that provides a CERN-wide service for polymer applications. It develops and fabricates polymer parts and assemblies for detector and accelerator applications as special developments and in small series.
As an experienced composite or polymer materials technician and a specialist in the use of plastic materials, composites and resins, you will join a small team providing a CERN-wide service known as the "Polymer lab". You will:
- Perform analysis and measurements on polymers using state-of-the-art physico-analysis instruments for development and quality control.
- Provide support to CERN personnel and users in the selection and application of polymers.
- Impregnate parts for a large range of applications using vacuum impregnation techniques.
- Participate in the development of a large variety of polymer and composite material applications.
- Provide a safe working environment and maintain the relevant safety documentation.
- Maintain the laboratory instrumentation and tooling.
- Supervise or support students, trainees or other temporary workers in the laboratory.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of material technology, and more specifically in the domains of polymer and composite materials or in a related field.
- Proven practical experience with state-of-the-art physico-chemical characterization of polymers.
- Proven practical experience with the selection, preparation and application of polymers and composites.
- Experience in moulding techniques with plastics.
- Familiarity with European safety standards for storage and usage of chemicals.
- Knowledge and application of polymers.
- Processing of non-metallic materials.
- Knowledge and application of conventional dimensional metrology.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; allocating appropriate amount of time for completing tasks.
- Demonstrating flexibility: being willing to move from one project/group/department to another.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; listening actively to others and letting others speak.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.03.2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving license.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-MSC-MDT-2020-112-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Material Science/Chemical Technician