Zenodo Service Manager (Fullstack Software Engineer on Web development) (IT-CDA-DR-2020-128-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you a Service Manager with experience in Web Applications? Join us and lead the development and service operations for a large open source project used by thousands of users every day all around the world. Work at the heart of digital research publication and archival, at the largest particle physics lab in the world: CERN.
You will join:
The Digital Repositories (DR) Section, in the IT Department, which is responsible for activities related to the archival of CERN’s research. In particular, you will be leading the project development and service operations of the Zenodo. Zenodo is a leading research data repository hosted by CERN, supported by the European Commission, and used by researchers from all disciplines all around the world. Zenodo is an open source product and it is being developed in-house based on Invenio http://inveniosoftware.org/, an Open Source Digital Library Framework that was born at CERN, and that is used world-wide by many partners in order to run services like Institutional Repositories, Integrated Digital Libraries, Research Data Repositories and Multimedia Archives.
More information on the Department is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep.
As the Zenodo Service Manager (Fullstack Software Engineer on Web development), you will be leading and contributing to:
- Supervising a small team of software developers;
- The development of new modules and functionalities as well as contributing to the Invenio Digital Repository Framework;
- DevOps activities - the configuration, deployment and maintenance activities of the service;
- Providing support to Zenodo users and sharing expertise with the Invenio developer community;
- The management of code contributions following an Open Source development model.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience in service management and team leadership;
- Demonstrated experience architecting large software projects, preferably for the web, involving design and development of user interfaces, web application back-ends, front-ends and database schema management;
- Experience with user relations, user support, user training, user requirements definition;
- Experience in service deployment, configuration management and operation;
- Experience with EU projects is a plus, as well as managing deliverables from concurrent externally funded projects.
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces: demonstrated experience with web UI technologies; Experience with toolkits such as SASS, Semantic UI and React; Knowledge of User Experience and Usability practices.
- Design of databases/repositories: experience with Database Management Systems (PostgreSQL in particular) and Object-Relational Mapping libraries (e.g. SQLAlchemy); Experience with Elasticsearch and Redis is a plus.
- Configuration and use of information management systems: knowledge of container-based technologies and configuration platforms (e.g. Docker, OpenShift, Puppet) is a plus.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues; supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Good knowledge of English is required; ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.11.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (2 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CDA-DR-2020-128-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further