Audiovisual producer (video and photography) - IR-ECO-APS-2020-104-LD
- Geneva, Switzerland
Are you passionate about communicating science through engaging visual storytelling? Do you thrive in a fast-paced diverse working environment with many exciting challenges?
CERN offers a unique opportunity to join its audiovisual production team and support the Organization’s communications strategy with high-quality audiovisual products (videos, photos, films, live broadcasts and VFX) targeted to a variety of audiences, from scientists to the general public, and through a wide range of channels, in particular social media.
You will join the International Relations Sector (IR), Education, Communications and Outreach Group (ECO) that is responsible for maintaining support for CERN's mission from all its stakeholders, generating public engagement with CERN’s activities and with fundamental research, fostering community-building within CERN and the international particle physics community, and raising awareness of CERN’s societal impact. The group is composed of professionals covering all its activities: writers, media officers, graphic and web designers, social media specialists, education specialists, exhibition developers, photographers and video editors, event organisers.
You will report directly to the Audiovisual Productions Service Section Leader and have regular and close interactions within the ECO Group and other services in the IR Sector, with the CERN community and the international particle physics community.
As an audiovisual producer, you will produce compelling visual products (films, videos, photos, Video News Releases VNR, live broadcasts) in line with CERN's ECO priorities. Your creative and engaging products will feature the laboratory’s unique science and scientific infrastructure, highlight the work of its international scientists and capture its wide-ranging societal impact. You will:
- Film and edit video clips featuring CERN activities and events (video news, video explainers, interviews, stories) to support editorial, media and social media content, engaging a variety of target audiences (general and specialised);
- Document through photography and video milestones of CERN's life, people and history, featuring the laboratory’s unique scientific infrastructure and facilities, both for archival purposes and to highlight the work of its international scientific community;
- Launch and follow up productions independently, involving all tasks, from setting a budget and writing scripts to organising logistics, keep up with deadlines, and communicating with the wider team (namely the editorial, social media and press team);
- Be part of the team producing special events and live broadcasts;
- Explore and test new formats such as VR, 360’s, 3D’s, and any other new technologies surfacing on the market;
- Maintain the video archive on CERN’s media asset management system;
- Maintain audio-visual equipment and keep up to date with technological developments.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of film-making, video/photo journalism, science communication, or Physics with a strong science media production track.
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience in all the steps of professional audiovisual production (film and photography), from use of high-end video and photo cameras to editing, from script writing to production and direction;
- Demonstrated experience of professional communication in a scientific or engineering area. Experience in video journalism (corporate or TV) would be an advantage;
- Demonstrated experience in storytelling with VFX (competence with After Effects would be an asset);
- Demonstrated experience in live productions (multi-camera mixing);
- Experience of professional communication in the field of particle physics would be an asset;
- Previous experience working in a studio environment.
- Audio-visual production: photography and video (including live); use of office software packages in the area of video editing (Final Cut Pro, Adobe Suite, Avid)
- Audio-visual production: video design (e.g. After effect, Motion, Color, Da Vinci Resolve), photography software (Photoshop, Capture One or equivalent)
- Science communications: for the general public, especially for social media
- Knowledge of media asset management
- Sound engineering
- Demonstrating Accountability: maintaining confidentiality Making appropriate use of the Organization's resources Working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises
- Achieving Results: allocating appropriate amount of time for completing tasks Delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations
- Communicating Effectively: adjusting style and content to the audience
- Demonstrating Flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements Being willing to work on different projects simultaneously
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities
Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts for official communications, and to make oral presentations. French language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 27.09.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: IR-ECO-APS-2020-104-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Communications/Public Relations/External Relations Support Officer