Workshop and Electrical Field Technician (EN-EA-AS-2020-96-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
The Engineering Department (EN) provides key infrastructure and pushes forwards the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the EN department, you will work for the Experimental Areas (EA) group, which is responsible for the beamlines, infrastructure and management of CERN’s experimental areas and provides engineering support and services including associated contracts. EA is furthermore supporting the LHC experiments as well as participating in and partly hosting the management of a number of CERN wide projects.
Are you passionate by technical work and interested in joining the operational activities of our cabling services for the experiments and experimental areas? Do you have a solid experience as responsible of an industrial cabling workshop? Do you have experience with work site supervision in the electrical field? Are you a qualified and proactive electrical technician, willing to contribute to a unique environment at the heart of one of the world’s most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then, this opportunity is for you - join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world. CERN, take part!
As a technician, you will take part in all the life-cycle of cabling activities of complex HV/LV signal systems from the order to the installation and verification. You will aim at the highest customer satisfaction, in accordance with CERN safety rules, while continuously improving and developing quality and electric testing procedures. The work is carried out together with scientists and technicians working on the CERN experiments from all over the world, and staff of CERN groups requiring support, both in the workshop as well as on the field.
Your functions will be:
- Perform and/or supervise the production of integrated systems such as electrical cubicles and switchboards, crates and racks;
- Manufacture cables internally or through subcontracting, addressing client specifications, assembly/production procedures and execution;
- Coordinate the cabling installation activities in different technical environments: from the feasibility studies (pathways, selection of cables and connectors, drafting of specifications, quotations, qualification tests) to the execution (planning, definition of the necessary resources, ordering of the equipment, technical supervision of the teams on site, electrical lock out, hazard management, tests, final acceptance and invoicing);
- Actively contribute to a continuous quality improvement process: development of testing procedures, improvement of processes for productivity increase, work documentation and follow-up of key performance indicators;
- Be the main technical interface with respect to our users and provide input for selecting the most suitable technical solutions (validation of specifications, design solutions, technical alternatives, materials selection, and costing).
Higher technical diploma in the field of electrical or electro-mechanical technician or a related field.
- Substantial experience in the production of wired cabling and electrical switchboards as well as in the assembly of connectors and associated tools;
- Extended experience in technical coordination in an industrial wiring workshop;
- Demonstrated experience in worksite supervision.
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems: (electrical crates/racks/cubicles and associated cabling/powering) - including functional knowledge of electro-technical components and systems;
- Design and manufacturing of cables, including connectors: (design part limited to follow users requirements and manufacture accordingly)
- Knowledge and application of quality and reliability assurance techniques in electronics: (in the context of electrical connectors and soldering, as well as functional quality checks of electrical cabinets)
- Quality management: ( knowledge and application of quality and reliability assurance technics in electro-technics)
- Specification and follow-up of technical aspects of a contract
- The practical knowledge of an electrical design tool (SEE Electrical or Eplan) is an asset
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships Contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Managing Self: using time efficiently and effectively Working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak one of the languages in professionnal situations and an undertaking to acquire the other language rapidly
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 06/09/2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-EA-AS-2020-96-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technician