Mechanical Engineer (Design of vacuum components) (TE-VSC-DLM-2020-94-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
With a total of 130 km of vacuum vessel, CERN operates one of the largest vacuum systems in the world. Are you interested in studying and designing new components for this unique infrastructure, then come and join the Vacuum, Surfaces and Coatings Group! Take part!
The Vacuum, Surfaces and Coatings (VSC) Group is responsible for all high and ultra-high vacuum systems for the CERN accelerators. Its mandate covers all activities from development to operation, including design, production and procurement, surface engineering and analysis, acceptance tests, control and monitoring.
Within the VSC Group of the TE Department, you will:
- Carry out multi-physics simulations in non-linear regime to calculate thermal mechanical behaviour of vacuum components. Typical fields of applications are mechanics, thermic and electromagnetic domains.
- Design, procure, and follow up the production of vacuum components, including vacuum chambers and thin walled structures.
- Organise the prototyping and validation activities of complex components.
- Write technical specifications and purchasing documentation for the procurement of complex vacuum components.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical structural engineering or a related field.
- Extensive practical and theoretical knowledge of finite element method for nonlinear, static and dynamic, thermal and mechanical analysis.
- Proven experience in mechanical design in particular of thin structures.
- Experience in follow-up of projects from design to prototyping, procurement and installation.
- Initial experience in vacuum technology with focus on behaviour of materials in ultrahigh vacuum (UHV).
- Knowledge and application of numerical modelling in solid mechanics
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures
- Knowledge and application of fracture mechanics
- Design and construction of thin-walled structures and bellows
- Knowledge and application of materials, surface and thermal treatments for UHV
- Design and analysis of high-vacuum systems
- Write documentation: technical, scientific, purchasing
- Demonstrating Accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions Taking responsibility for own actions and decisions
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Addressing complex problems by breaking them down into manageable components
- Working in Teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Communicating Effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions Expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point
Spoken and written English or French: good knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.08.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-VSC-DLM-2020-94-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer