Health, Safety and Environmental protection technician (TTE Programme)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization.
Are you a technician looking for a challenging professional experience to further your career? If so, joining CERN’s Technician programme may very well give you that challenge. This position as an Health, Safety and Environmental protection technician is part of our prestigious TTE programme.
CERN’s Occupational Health and Safety & Environmental Protection unit (HSE) is the body that drives CERN’s security policy. As an expertise center specializing in security issues, the HSE unit provides effective support in this area at all levels of the Organization.
Within the unit’s Occupational Health and Safety group (HSE-OHS), you will join the Infrastructure & Building Safety Engineering section as a safety inspector. You will have the opportunity to work with a variety of experts such as occupational health and safety specialists, environmental specialists, technical inspectors and safety representatives from different departments.
As an Health, Safety and Environmental protection Technician, your missions will be the following:
- Conducting safety and environmental inspections of CERN’s infrastructure :
- Planning inspections ;
- Organizing the inspection visits with multiple security stakeholders ;
- Organizing building inspections: drawing up an inventory of risk situations, assessing the various risks (chemical, radiation protection, lifting, fire, evacuation, etc.) in conjunction with the various HSE experts and technical inspectors, checking current safety measures (inspection of all premises and workstations), providing assistance and advice to the various managers for the implementation of preventive and corrective actions to ensure safety in the building ;
- Prioritization of comments and formulation of recommendations/actions through the production of inspection reports.
- Follow-up of HSE’s recommandations
- Participation in the development of CERN’s safety inspection activities
- Running training courses for safety delegates (practical and theoretical training)
Skills required for the job:
- Communication : have excellent interpersonal communication skills in order to work effectively with different contact points ;
- Willing to do fieldwork;
- Teamwork: Helping promote a positive atmosphere within the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude;
- Managing oneself: Working well in an autonomous manner;
- Thoroughness and good writing skills.
The project manager is looking for a candidate available for a possible contract start date in autumn 2020.
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a national of a CERN Member State or Associate Member State (https://home.cern/about/member-states);
- You have a Technical Diploma (careers.cern/ttediplomas), and no more than 4 years' relevant experience after finishing your diploma;
- If you are currently studying, you are still eligible to apply, although you are expected to have obtained your qualification by the start of your appointment at CERN;
- If you hold a BSc or MSc, you are not eligible. However you may be eligible for the Fellowship Programme.
You should have at least a working knowledge of English or French.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion. In return, CERN will provide you with:
- An employment contract of one year, renewable for a second year;
- On-the-job and formal training at CERN as well as in-house language courses for English and/or French;
- A monthly stipend of 4565 Swiss Francs per month (net of tax);
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund;
- Depending on your individual circumstances: an installation grant, family, child and infant allowances as well as travel expenses to and from Geneva;
- 2,5 days of paid leave per month.
As a member of a team with experienced technicians and safety specialists from many European countries, you will find a dynamic environment, where you will acquire or develop your skills.
Thanks to this experience you will deepen your knowledge of French, Swiss and European regulations on occupational health and work safety.
With the help of specialists (in chemistry, fire, environment, structure, ergonomics, etc.) you will develop your knowledge on the management of different risks.
Fieldwork with the safety representatives of the different departments will allow you to improve your observation, communication and argumentation skills.
Your future Life @CERN
This is how you can apply:
You will need the following documents, clearly labelled (e.g. “CV”, “Motivation letter”, “Academic transcript”, etc.) and in PDF format to complete your application:
- A full and clear CV (please make sure to put as much information as possible in it)
- A scanned copy of your latest relevant qualification (or a screenshot of the latest academic transcript obtained if the diploma is not yet obtained);
- At least one reference letter (from a professor or previous employer) giving an overview of your academic and/or professional achievements. This should be as broad as possible.
- You can upload these letters at the time of application if you have them to hand. You will also be provided with a link as soon as you have submitted your application to forward to your referees to upload their letters confidentially. Please note this must be done before the closing date.
All applications should normally reach us no later than 29.09.2020.
It's really important to fill with particular attention the motivation part and education/experience part.