Industrial Engineer (Mechanics or Production) (ATS-DO-2020-76-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
Do you have a natural desire to improve processes and a drive to lead dynamic projects? We are looking for an experienced industrial engineer to help us develop solutions that serve CERN’s mission! Take part!
To extend its discovery potential, the LHC will need a major upgrade to increase its luminosity (rate of collisions) by a factor of 10 beyond its design value. The HL-LHC is the project that looks after the configuration and operation scenarios for this new operation phase, will develop the new technologies and be in charge of the design, production, installation and commissioning of the equipment required to reach this objective.
You will join the Configuration, Quality, Risk and Sourcing team of the HL-LHC Project Office. You will:
- Guide the project engineers to identify all the requirements needed to meet the reliability, availability and technical performance of the HL systems such as interface, environmental, operational, product quality assurance or design requirements.
- Identify with project engineers the manufacturing processes and their corresponding critical activities (where specific requirements need to be met to mitigate risks) and support them by the application of existing standards or, in their absence, of CERN specific procedures/controls.
- Advise and support the project engineers on the following areas:
- Risk assessment, risk reduction and control guiding in the preparation of the technical files;
- Preparation, communication and dissemination of quality and project documentation/reporting;
- Monitoring of the contracts and production activities (in-house and industry);
- Writing and reviewing the project documentation such as - but not limited to - engineering/functional specifications, manufacturing and inspection plan, technical procedures, technical specifications for procurement.
- Prepare and monitor procurement plans.
- Participate in manufacturing reviews and production audits at supplier’s premises.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of of industrial engineering (background in mechanics/construction) or a related field.
Proven experience in:
- Design of industrial processes, quality management and production follow-up; implementation and maintenance of quality plans in projects and the associated processes that are part of such plan.
- Industry, mainly in international EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) / Turnkey projects; experience in offshore coordination activities would be an asset.
- Contracts follow-up from production and/or quality side, for electro-mechanical components, dealing with contractors and collaborations.
- Preparation of technical documentation.
- Preparation, assessment and monitoring of a Project Procurement Plan; a well understanding of the European market and experience in sourcing of firms is necessary.
- Quality management.
- Process analysis, definition and improvement.
- Specification and follow-up of technical aspects of a contract.
- Search and selection of suppliers and service contract providers.
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas, and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; ensuring that information, procedures, and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; using time efficiently and effectively.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Learning & sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; proposing ways to improve/streamline existing processes and methodologies
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/ or official communications and to make oral presentations in both languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.07.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: ATS-DO-2020-76-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer