Fibre Optics Technician (EN-EL-FC-2020-74-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Electrical Engineering Group (EL) of the EN department, you will join the Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC), which is in charge of CERN's optical fibre infrastructure, ensures the technical expertise in the field of fibre optics, and provides optical and copper signal cables, standardised racks and DC power cables for magnets in the accelerators and experimental areas. The Section provides engineering support to the CERN users, centralises their cabling requests and organises the installation activities through external industrial-support contractors.
Are you a qualified fibre optic technician with experience in preparing installation works and supervising the deployment of fibre optics infrastructures? Contribute your skills to the infrastructure for the major communication systems that constitute CERN's accelerator complex. CERN, take part!
As a Fibre Optic Technician in the EN-EL-FC Section, you will be responsible for processing optical cabling requests and for conducting entire optical cabling campaigns in the CERN sites.This position requires close and frequent interactions with contractors and CERN internal users from other departments.
This will involve:
- Establishing optical fibre installation requirements in collaboration with the CERN users;
- Taking part in defining the optical fibre link architecture including fibre and duct types and connections;
- Contributing to periodic reviews of optical cabling activities and propose innovative solutions for optical cabling and tests.
- Preparing the necessary computer-based work files for the contractors and users;
- Studying, proposing, implementing and monitoring work execution schedules and ensure compliance with the required activities;
- Organizing and managing work site meetings and discuss cabling campaign planning with contractors;
- Verifying the quality of the work performed by contractors, ensuring the respect of all provision of the CERN safety rules and prevention plans;
- Organizing and executing maintenance, test and repair activities when required;
- Preparing work progress reports and providing regular presentations on the status of the activities;
- Organizing the documentation of the installations and preparing technical notes summarizing the work done;
Higher technical diploma in the field of Fibre Optics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical cabling technology. Preferably in an industrial environment;
- Substantial experience in the preparation of work files, as well as in work supervision and acceptance of optical installations;
- Additional experience in the field of electrical cabling would be an asset;
- Experience in coordinating the work of a team of technicians would be an asset;
- Organisation, planning and control: technical supervision of contractors, quality of the worksites and worksite meetings;
- Practical knowledge of optical cabling techniques, in particular optical cabling by blowing;
- Practical knowledge of optical fibre connectors and connector-fitting (e.g. by splicing);
- Knowledge of optical transmission fundamentals;
- Practical knowledge of tests and measurement techniques in the fibre optics domain;
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Communicating Effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively Providing others with timely information
- Working in Teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak one language and an undertaking to acquire the other rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 17.07.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-EL-FC-2020-74-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technician